Author Topic: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination  (Read 16116 times)

Offline AAddict

• I live here
Re: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2013, 01:03 »
Obviously :) Should I have left the leather off and pretended I love the dreadful Tartan cloth seats? :)

Well the cloth is lighter and less slippy, so definitely more "performance" orientated  :grin:
Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2013, 01:08 »
Strangely I've never found myself sliding around a leather sport seat, I must be of average size :)
Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 02 June 2013, 01:17 »
I also had a budget, which didn't include the Santiago's... but driving to the dealer to place the order I kept thinking about them, knew I would regret not having them, so ordered them but made a point of saving the extra money to put down when it arrives so the finance figures don't change :)

Good on you mate. Truth be told I think I'm a bit hesitant to go for such good looking wheels for another reason... Now this may sound like an absurd reason to most, but I just had a very bad experience with really good looking wheels.

About 10 years ago I had a brand new top of the line BMW 3 series with some really gorgeous wheels. Everyone would compliment them. Then one night at 11.30 pm there was a knock on my door and it was the Police. My wheels had been stolen and the car left on its brake discs! The sills were dented cos the f%***s jacked it up from there. It was all very depressing. Repair work and replacement was around £3.5k

I just don't want my wheels targeted again. Yes it could happen to the 18" ones, but the 19" ones are just rarer and more desirable.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2013, 01:19 by master_hayabusa »

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 02 June 2013, 01:21 »
Bit like this

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 02 June 2013, 02:47 »
I also had a budget, which didn't include the Santiago's... but driving to the dealer to place the order I kept thinking about them, knew I would regret not having them, so ordered them but made a point of saving the extra money to put down when it arrives so the finance figures don't change :)

Good on you mate. Truth be told I think I'm a bit hesitant to go for such good looking wheels for another reason... Now this may sound like an absurd reason to most, but I just had a very bad experience with really good looking wheels.

About 10 years ago I had a brand new top of the line BMW 3 series with some really gorgeous wheels. Everyone would compliment them. Then one night at 11.30 pm there was a knock on my door and it was the Police. My wheels had been stolen and the car left on its brake discs! The sills were dented cos the f%***s jacked it up from there. It was all very depressing. Repair work and replacement was around £3.5k

I just don't want my wheels targeted again. Yes it could happen to the 18" ones, but the 19" ones are just rarer and more desirable.

It's been a while since i heard of anyones wheels being nicked, not sure why tbh but i don't worry about it these days! :huh:
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2013, 09:13 »
Gtg: I'm not saying DSG is less sporty in itself, it's fast gear changes cannot be matched by a manual, but will that extra smidge make that much difference in the real world on an overtaking maneuvre, especially if the gearbox doesn't change gear at exactly the time you'd have done it in manual. 0-62 times are identical for manual and DSG, no savings to be made if you know what you're doing, just makes it easier.

For those that like to be more in touch with the car (and more likely to drive it in a "sporty" manner) will generally prefer manual. For some people they will prefer the extra input of a manual, for others they will prefer the convenience of a DSG. Having a DSG doesn't make it any sportier IMO, especially as it does nothing to enhance the 0-62 time.

3 doors do look better on a Golf (and most cars of that size or smaller), but not by much. The Golf is one of those cars that pulls off 5 doors with very little aesthetic penalty (unlike the A3 which looks like an estate car in "sportback" guise). I probably only have some back seat passengers 5% of the time, but when that 5% comes about, what a pain it is for them, and for you when you hear them moaning about it. 

DSG is a convenience feature (that'll cost you £1100 over 3 years), nothing more than that. Some people prefer an auto, some don't. It's not a feature that will enhance the car for everyone and those that don't get it because they don't want it will not be missing out.
« Last Edit: 02 June 2013, 09:15 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Hawaii-Five-O

• I live here
  • Are we nearly there yet?
« Reply #16 on: 02 June 2013, 09:51 »
I probably only have some back seat passengers 5% of the time, but when that 5% comes about, what a pain it is for them, and for you when you hear them moaning about it.

I can easily put with 5% grief and enjoy 95% of having the aesthetic of a three door  :wink:

Anyways this new three door is softening the blow coming from my Scirocco.
Current: BMW M140i / ZF8 / 5 DR
Past: MK7 GTI / DSG / WHITE / 5 DR

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 02 June 2013, 12:21 »
Gtg: I'm not saying DSG is less sporty in itself, it's fast gear changes cannot be matched by a manual, but will that extra smidge make that much difference in the real world on an overtaking maneuvre, especially if the gearbox doesn't change gear at exactly the time you'd have done it in manual. 0-62 times are identical for manual and DSG, no savings to be made if you know what you're doing, just makes it easier.

Hmm..well actually it does make a difference. I think unless your gear changes on a manual are near perfect, the manual will be slower.

Have a look at these couple of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4HpD5K6Qws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwfvnDt7BA

The Golf is one of those cars that pulls off 5 doors with very little aesthetic penalty...

Agreed. I have seen both and it looks pretty good in 5 door guise.

Offline JonnyG

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 02 June 2013, 12:58 »
DSG is a convenience feature (that'll cost you £1100 over 3 years), nothing more than that. Some people prefer an auto, some don't. It's not a feature that will enhance the car for everyone and those that don't get it because they don't want it will not be missing out.

Not everyone gets on with this DSG but this guy likes it and thinks its well worth it :wink:  (go to 1:17 into the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wm5RF1_3Ik
Current : Seat Cupra Lux, DSG, Magnetic Grey, Sept 2019
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Pure White, March 2017
Gone :    Golf Mk 7 R, 5dr DSG, Tornado Red, March 2015
Gone :    Audi RS3, Daytona Grey, 7sp S-Tronic, Sept 2012
Gone :    Golf R, Rising Blue, 5dr DSG Mar 2010
Gone :    Golf R32, DBP, 5dr, DSG, Nov 2008
Gone :    Golf GTi ED30, Mar 2007

mjh_056

« Reply #19 on: 02 June 2013, 13:34 »
I probably only have some back seat passengers 5% of the time, but when that 5% comes about, what a pain it is for them, and for you when you hear them moaning about it.

I can easily put with 5% grief and enjoy 95% of having the aesthetic of a three door  :wink:

Anyways this new three door is softening the blow coming from my Scirocco.

My last 2 car selections were in the face of practical as in lowest sport suspension and 3 Door and as much as love the virtues of both (as in I am not as bothered by ride when alone and loving the 3 Door Lines) The times when have passengers in either passenger seat or in rear is 50% of time at least and these both have become my biggest annoyances - That being said if the Golf did look horrid in 5 Door I would have still passed, but as it is, I genuinely think 5 Door carries it's lines so well and looks great :)

I was not as bothered on manual/DSG this is wife selection and if it was a pure auto I would have overruled her (not as easy as I made that sound ;)) but as there is the semi-manual shift option by stick and paddles and it has a sport setting then I actually quite readily gave in.