Author Topic: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination  (Read 16018 times)

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination
« on: 01 June 2013, 22:49 »
Something I've just noticed. From the Spec thread.

Total number of GTI's = 25

8 GTI DSG's

DSG 3 Door = 1 car

DSG 5 Door = 7 cars (assuming the two cars that did not mention number of doors are 5 doors)

It's not surprising that the DSG GTI isn't as popular as manual (32% of GTI's are DSG). However, only one car is a 3 door DSG!

I am going for a 3 Door DSG GTI. My question is, when it comes to selling my car will there be little demand for this combination and therefore make it more difficult to sell?

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: GTI in 3 Door & DSG Combination
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2013, 22:58 »
Something I've just noticed. From the Spec thread.

Total number of GTI's = 25

8 GTI DSG's

DSG 3 Door = 1 car

DSG 5 Door = 7 cars (assuming the two cars that did not mention number of doors are 5 doors)

It's not surprising that the DSG GTI isn't as popular as manual (32% of GTI's are DSG). However, only one car is a 3 door DSG!

I am going for a 3 Door DSG GTI. My question is, when it comes to selling my car will there be little demand for this combination and therefore make it more difficult to sell?

Quite the opposite. I think the demand will be greater because it will be rarer. The GTI is a performance car and the excellent DSG box mounted to it will make it that bit quicker especially with launch control. This will make it far more attractive to those who are chasing big bhp figures and are looking to remap.

I was very very tempted to go down the DSG route but at the end of the day I wanted other options ahead of this particular one

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2013, 23:10 »

I was very very tempted to go down the DSG route but at the end of the day I wanted other options ahead of this particular one

Ye I didn't think of that. Actually my car is very similar to your spec except DSG :) After driving the DSG yesterday I was convinced it was the car for me.

Had a quick look at autotrader too. Of 114, 3-door GTIs up to 5 years old, 38 of them are DSG. So it's not a bad ratio actually.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2013, 23:31 »
5 door practicality goes hand in hand with DSG convenience, IMO that's why it is the rarer combination. Someone buying a 3 door is generally more interested in performance than practicality (as it is less practical than the 5 door) and is probably more likely to favour a manual box.

Even so, I don't think it will be a dealbreaker, but the enhancement of DSG on guaranteed future value (GFV) of only £300 for what is a £1415 option suggests to me that DSG isn't that highly sought after. 5 doors on the other hand is.

You won't get caned for having 3 doors, but when buying on solutions and changing every 3 years, 5 door cost (£655 on list) is effectively nil as it costs £10 a month more than 3 doors (£350/35 months) but enhances the GFV by over £400 (so you get your money back).

Either way your 3 door DSG won't be hard to pass on later, it'll be a smidge less popular on the used market, but for a car that'll be sought after in many combinations you won't have any bother getting rid of it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2013, 23:46 »
5 door practicality goes hand in hand with DSG convenience, IMO that's why it is the rarer combination. Someone buying a 3 door is generally more interested in performance than practicality (as it is less practical than the 5 door) and is probably more likely to favour a manual box.

Even so, I don't think it will be a dealbreaker, but the enhancement of DSG on guaranteed future value (GFV) of only £300 for what is a £1415 option suggests to me that DSG isn't that highly sought after. 5 doors on the other hand is.

You won't get caned for having 3 doors, but when buying on solutions and changing every 3 years, 5 door cost (£655 on list) is effectively nil as it costs £10 a month more than 3 doors (£350/35 months) but enhances the GFV by over £400 (so you get your money back).

Either way your 3 door DSG won't be hard to pass on later, it'll be a smidge less popular on the used market, but for a car that'll be sought after in many combinations you won't have any bother getting rid of it.

Thanks for your input. It's a shame that DSG doesn't hold its value better, nevertheless I would take it even if I didn't get any of the money back from it. It's just so easy to drive in London traffic and is very fast when you want it to be.

5 door looks good too and there's no doubt it's convenient for quickly throwing a bag in the back seat but I think it's more suited to guys with a family. I will have passengers maybe 5% of the time. To me the 3 door just looks more aggressive :)

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2013, 00:44 »

DSG isn't convenience, it's not an 'automatic' it's a high performance gearbox. Which the manual can't match.

A performance GTI is a 3-door (body strength - less roll) , with DSG (faster gear change), Performance Pack (should have been made standard) and 19"s (handling) Even without 19"s, you would never put a sunroof in a car if you wanted it for performance!.. it's as much as an oxymoron (ducks) as buying a GTD!  :wink:
Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline master_hayabusa

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2013, 00:53 »

DSG isn't convenience, it's not an 'automatic' it's a high performance gearbox. Which the manual can't match.

A performance GTI is a 3-door (body strength - less roll) , with DSG (faster gear change), Performance Pack (should have been made standard) and 19"s (handling) Even without 19"s, you would never put a sunroof in a car if you wanted it for performance!.. it's as much as an oxymoron (ducks) as buying a GTD!  :wink:

Hey GtG, I didn't see your car in the Spec thread? Although I'm guilty of not adding mine yet either (just finalising a few details).

I have to say, your spec'd car has some nice options. I do love the look of the 19" Santiagos but I had a budget :(

Offline AAddict

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2013, 00:59 »

That's strange, this wonder-spec "performance GTI" seems to be exactly the spec you have ordered

Cancelled GTI, M135i beast mode.

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2013, 01:00 »
I also had a budget, which didn't include the Santiago's... but driving to the dealer to place the order I kept thinking about them, knew I would regret not having them, so ordered them but made a point of saving the extra money to put down when it arrives so the finance figures don't change :)
Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2013, 01:02 »

That's strange, this wonder-spec "performance GTI" seems to be exactly the spec you have ordered
[/quote]

Obviously :) Thus why I spec'd it that way :)
« Last Edit: 02 June 2013, 01:05 by GtG »