Author Topic: Considering cancelling my order......  (Read 26943 times)

Jules Winfield

Re: Considering cancelling my order......
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2013, 09:31 »
I won't have a car with leather seats.  But I don't want a car without heated seats.

So, it looks like no Golf Mark 7 for me, unless I go down a level and have a GT (which is still a very nice car, just not as exclusive as a GTD/GTI).  In a way, I'm not hugely bothered, as I'm still very pleased with my Mark 6 and I'm not totally convinced by the looks of the new one.

By any metric, the launch of the new car has been an utter disaster.  It took ages for the brochures to be uploaded.  The configurator is completely out of date and still does not show Carbon Grey metallic paint.  Dealers don't know what's going on.  People who have placed orders don't know what's going on.  Dealer X says one thing, and dealer Y another.  VW UK change the specifications every five minutes (seemingly), for no good reason.  Why can't I have the winter pack without leather?  I had it on my Mark 5, and I've got it on my Mark 6.

VW UK are a disgrace.  My original order for my Mark 6 got "lost" and VW UK were unable to tell me for weeks on end what had happened to it.  I had to write letters to all and sundry to get people to get off their backsides and find out what had happened (they had to re-order the car, without telling me).  The shenanigans in this thread and others only confirms my view that they're utterly, completely hopeless.  I've complained about dealers in the past and VW UK basically wash their hands and say "it's nothing to do with us".

Is VW really a "premium" brand?  They may aspire to be, but I don't think they are.  Still too much of an every(wo)man's car.

Offline Gryzor

• I live here
  • Go white, or go home!
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2013, 09:43 »
I won't have a car with leather seats.  But I don't want a car without heated seats.

My sentiments exactly - I really don't want to cancel, but if I am going to be forced to compromise any further, with a build date of September 16th announced, it's not looking good.
Pure White Mk7 GTI (5dr, Manual)

Options: Reverse Camera, Keyless, Adaptive Chasis, Climate Screen, Winter Pack, Discover Nav, Advanced Phone Prep

Offline matchboy

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2013, 09:43 »
I agree Norbreck21a, it is a total shambles.  And I personally believe its VW UK that are to blame.  But are they any different to any other UK company these days?  Unfortunately, we live in a country whereby service is at a minimum.  95% companies these days are nicey nicey until they have your money and then they don't give a toss.

Given the amount of cars we've seen up for sale in Germany at present, in dealerships, there doesn't seem to be an issue with production.  The real problem is VW UK are p!ss poor.  Unfortunately, this goes for most companies these days.  Don't let their incompetence put you off getting your car.

Saying that, if there is an option that you really want but isn't on offer then you'll have to decide if you want a car that doesn't have it.  Nothing worse than paying all that money but everytime you drive it you think I wish I had got an A3/A Class/1 Series as that would have had option X.  So the real question is could you live without this option?  If the answer is no then you need to change.  If the answer is yes, then stick with it!  The GTD will be a class motor however!!  :smiley:
Audi RS5 2018
Gone: BMW M4 LCI Competition Package
Previous: Mk 3 Audi TTS, Porsche 981 Cayman S, Mk 7 Golf R, Mk 7 GTI, Mk 6 GTI, Mk 5 GTI and so on....

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2013, 09:47 »
Been talking to the wife, and after having another conversation with VW UK last night, I'm seriously considering cancelling my orders for both the GTD and the Polo Blue GT.
Do you know if you can get your deposit back?  Fair is fair you should do, if you cancel it is because of VW poor service not you messing them around.  But have you asked?

Norbreck21a: So have you got an alternative set of cars lined up or just keeping hold of what you have longer if you do cancel? I have looked at the alternatives out there and there is noting else i'd rather have when taking in looks, equipment and solid residuals into account:-

1 Series: Ugly as sin, mechanically good, poor value on the equipment side, cheap interior for it's price point, decent residuals.

2. Giulietta: One of the best looking cars in it''s segment, well equipped, 5 year warranty but atrocious residuals and very cheap interior.

3. Seat Leon: Like a Golf but cheaper with a cheaper interior. Poorer residuals means it costs as much to run as a dearer Golf. I always find that fresh exterior design initially looks old hat within 2 years on a Leon.

4. Focus: Bland car (except the ST), average at everything with poor residuals and relatively poor economy next to it's rivals.

5. Astra GTC: Better looking than a Focus, with poor interior and poor residuals.

6. Audi A3 - looks ok in 3 door but so bad in 5 door (like an estate car), Quality shows throughout but standard equipment is poor and you'll pay through the nose for all your options. Great residuals.

I would take an Audi A1 over the Polo any day of the week, but for GTI/GTD I can't see any better options out there. The wait, lack of info for your placed order and ever changing spec/options is poor though.

VW UK are sh!te, no 2 ways about it, whether it be for information on a placed order or mediation for a calamity of events following an accident repair at a VW approved repairer. It's a shame because VW Germany will bend over backwards for a German customer (my cousin in the Army, based in Germany will attest to that).

BMW 2 series comes out next year (supposedly).
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/2-series/63997/bmw-2-series-spied

Otherwise The VXR and Focus ST have got to be high on the list.  I don't really like the look of the Focus, its like a fish with its mouth open... reminds me of a Peugeot.  However, its good value for money.  The VXR is a mean machine.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2013, 10:08 »
All getting a bit stressy around here....

Heated seats/winter pack are an option with cloth, the website is incorrect, again.
If I thought for one second that the website was accurate and you couldn't have cloth with heated seats then I too would cancel.

Build dates will be according to where you are in the queue, what options you ordered, GTI or GTD and what changes you have made. (and of course how honest your dealer is :whistle:)

Mine was wk 22 when I ordered, it slipped to wk 25 and has stayed like that for the last few weeks.
Remember the GTI isn't even officially 'on sale' yet, just open for order.

Chill.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 22 May 2013, 10:18 »
95% companies these days are nicey nicey until they have your money and then they don't give a toss.

Which is worrying since VW don't actually have our money jut now and we as customers are being treated like this!
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JohnP

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 22 May 2013, 10:43 »
I went through two months of Audi amending an order I had made and it ended up so far from the car I originally wanted that I cancelled. They had to give me the deposit back as they couldn't supply what I had ordered.
I decided to go for a GTI instead (and in this I think Audi did me a favour) and the VW garage said 'you can have the car you want here'. I hope this isn't going to be a repeat of the Audi mess up. Why don't these companies get their act together??

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2013, 10:50 »

Not ugly, but not groundbreaking - looks like an old shape Hyundai Scoupe with a BMW front end. If I wanted a 3 door car with usable rear seats (not sure whether the BMW ones are any more useful than those in the 1 series) i'd stick with the Scirocco or get an Audi A5. Hopefully the new Scirocco will be a breath of fresh air like the current one was back in 08/09 before the cloners all jumped in on it.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2013, 10:59 »

Not ugly, but not groundbreaking - looks like an old shape Hyundai Scoupe with a BMW front end. If I wanted a 3 door car with usable rear seats (not sure whether the BMW ones are any more useful than those in the 1 series) i'd stick with the Scirocco or get an Audi A5. Hopefully the new Scirocco will be a breath of fresh air like the current one was back in 08/09 before the cloners all jumped in on it.

But remember this isn't the finished article.  I strongly suspect the M2, when it comes, will be one nice bit of kit.  Apparently they are using the M135i as their "starting point" but producing it in a coupe format.

However, I'm still ordering a GTI, which I intend to keep for sometime (i.e. until I can afford a 911 hehehehe :laugh:).

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2013, 11:07 »

Do you know if you can get your deposit back?  Fair is fair you should do, if you cancel it is because of VW poor service not you messing them around.  But have you asked?

Yeah, spoke to the dealer this morning and explained the situation to the brand manager. Apparently he's had a few people complain and he's not at all happy with VW UK over this situation. Whilst he obviously doesn't want me to cancel (and neither do I really), he does understand and said that if push come to shove, they would of course give me a full refund.

Let's just hope it doesn't come to that.

2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras