Author Topic: Windscreen scratch - I'm an idiot!  (Read 2125 times)

Offline greencode

• Here all the time
  • Golf R - Pure White
Windscreen scratch - I'm an idiot!
« on: 20 August 2017, 17:50 »
So, I've not been myself the past this past few weeks after the sudden passing of my dog and yesterday I did something stupid without really thinking. There was some bird poo on my windscreen and instead of being patient and soaking it, I just used some kitchen paper to remove it and now have some very light surface scratches where I've done it  :angry:

Just wondering if there's any hope of removing it? Seen mixed reviews of the glass scratch removal kits such as this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADMA8GQ/.

Wouldn't mind too much but it's right in my line of vision!

Please no replies saying I'm stupid - I already know that  :sad:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Windscreen scratch - I'm an idiot!
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2017, 19:33 »
Oh dear! Sorry to hear you've lost your faithful friend. Don't know about glass scratch repairs but if it helps, I put a long deep one in my rear window through impatience and stupidity after dropping my cloth and re-using it. I find it helps in reminding me not to do it again :rolleyes: Not entirely helpful, but no doubt you'll get some good advice soon.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2017, 19:39 »
Really sad about losing your dog, very upsetting to lose a beloved pet.

You could have a go with some glass polish but be very careful as you can cause distortion and a dip in the glass which is not what you want in your vision line.  I had a massive arc scratch across the windscreen of my mk6 GTI, where some grit got caught between glass and wiper blade, but I just lived with it.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline hepton

• Not said much yet
  • 2017 GTD
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2017, 22:23 »
i know how you feel ... i done it once and never again , i used an ice scraper once to take it off and had deep scratchs in the screen ,had to get new windscreen ,bloody birds they must eat grit for breakfast... :angry: