Author Topic: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?  (Read 318792 times)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
  • Yes! Wait a minute... No!
Re: GTI Build Dates - Anyone got one yet?
« Reply #160 on: 02 May 2013, 21:18 »
I think that might be true in some cases, but I wouldn't say it's true of all Salesmen. That will depend on the individual and the company they work for. Ever since the order for my GTI, that had a June delivery date (initially), I've been kept informed of every conversation and update from VW regarding it's build.

Your good experience not withstanding I think there is a point to be made here.  These guys (gals) are trying to shift volume, and that means they have to sell Polos and Golfs, not GTIs.  So think about it, when the GTI isn't even being sold yet are they rushing to find out and know all the possible details about it like we are?  Why would they?  Their effort is going into their bread and butter work.  They don't even need to push the GTI it sells itself and their slots are going to be taken well before they can "sell" a car to someone who wonders into the showroom and isn't sure exactly what model they want.  And any way they'll make the most if they can get such a person to buy something off their forecourt not order some high spec machine and then bargain down the price like we all want to do.

I'm just saying its not surprising we all know more than them and their system is a bit of a mess.  Thats no excuse though, the information should be there for them to get when we ask questions, even if they haven't learnt it by wrote the second it became available.  I think this is more a VW or VW UK issue than a dealer issue.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 21:21 by Bill_the_Bear »

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #161 on: 02 May 2013, 21:24 »
I think that might be true in some cases, but I wouldn't say it's true of all Salesmen. That will depend on the individual and the company they work for. Ever since the order for my GTI, that had a June delivery date (initially), I've been kept informed of every conversation and update from VW regarding it's build.

Yes, you're quite right not "ALL" salesmen (& women) should be tarnished with the same brush. I have nothing against salesmen... In fact I find the ones I've dealt with rather pleasant and would bend over backwards to be of assistance.  It's just a shame their product knowledge is shockingly deficient!!!

I've probably just been unlucky in my dealings with them.
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #162 on: 02 May 2013, 21:43 »
It's just a shame their product knowledge is shockingly deficient!!!

I think they just have no reason to know anything about the GTI...

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #163 on: 02 May 2013, 21:54 »
Ever since the order for my GTI, that had a June delivery date (initially), I've been kept informed of every conversation and update from VW regarding it's build.

Ever since I placed my order back in February, I have yet to hear anything from my dealer. On the occasions I have phoned him up & chased him on the issue he was none the wiser with regards to build dates or lead times.

He's the nicest guy you could ever meet but I find the whole thing frustrating. I don't blame him personally though, because he only knows what VW UK tell him.  I'd be interested to know what sort of updates you've been getting from your deer with regards to your build?
Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #164 on: 02 May 2013, 21:57 »
Mine promises to call or email at least once every 3 weeks with an update.

I'll let you know what happens!

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #165 on: 02 May 2013, 22:07 »
Bear.. You're quite right! They don't need to know anything, as you quite rightly pointed out.. "The car sells itself".... But it would be nice though  :grin:

Offline Bill_the_Bear

• I live here
« Reply #166 on: 02 May 2013, 22:26 »
I'm not letting them off the hook though, its a problem they can't find out the info, give consistent answers and make their on-line systems work properly.

Then again, how many of us have cancelled our GTIs and placed an order for an ST instead?  Its probably not their no1 priority.   :cry:

Offline GtG

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #167 on: 03 May 2013, 00:21 »
The order book for the GTI (with VW) was only open from April as far as I'm aware. So if you placed an order with your dealer prior to this date, all you are doing is (hopefully) getting first dibs on that dealers allocation slot. To be processed when VW start taking orders.

As I understand it, at present there is an issue with the assembly process. All orders for GTI's have been 'parked' until this is resolved. No GTI has a valid build date at present. Once this is resolved, they will be processed, manufactured and delivered in date order, no matter what the specification. (As the only spec related delay was the DSG which is now not an issue).

Ordered: Mk7 GTI | 3-Door | Pure White | DSG | Leather | Performance Pack | 19" Santiago | DynAudio

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #168 on: 03 May 2013, 01:11 »
As I understand it, at present there is an issue with the assembly process. All orders for GTI's have been 'parked' until this is resolved. No GTI has a valid build date at present. Once this is resolved, they will be processed, manufactured and delivered in date order, no matter what the specification. (As the only spec related delay was the DSG which is now not an issue).

Thanks for the update GtG.  Why my dealer couldn't tell me that I don't know...

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #169 on: 03 May 2013, 01:18 »
The order book for the GTI (with VW) was only open from April as far as I'm aware. So if you placed an order with your dealer prior to this date, all you are doing is (hopefully) getting first dibs on that dealers allocation slot. To be processed when VW start taking orders.

Sorry did I say i placed my order in February??? My 'Bad'....  What I meant to say was 'March'... Just feels longer  :grin: