Author Topic: Break in mileage and oil temp  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Break in mileage and oil temp
« on: 18 February 2021, 00:16 »
Just a quick question as picked up my new GTI last week. Is there a break in mileage before putting metal to the floor, could not see anything in the manual but someone told me to go easy for the first 1000 miles is this correct and also regarding the oil temp what should it be between before foot down. Bit of a newbie to all this and first GTI I have owned. 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Break in mileage and oil temp
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2021, 08:51 »
I've not looked at the user guide yet, but if there is anything you MUST do, its written in there.

It certainly doesn't have the old fashioned "after xxxx miles it needs an initial service to get bits of broken metal out of the sump"

Common sense suggests however that for maybe 1000 miles you don't bounce it off of the rev limiter or use launch control.

If nothing else you need to scrub in the tyres a bit before you go crazy.

Definitely if you are planning some hard driving action at any time it makes sense to let the engine get to typical operating temperature before you strap on your Lewis Hamilton race suit and helmet. That's the case for all cars really. It won't break it (this is a reasonable road car, not a highly strung Italian supercar) but if you want to look after it for a long time, its sensible.
« Last Edit: 18 February 2021, 08:54 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2021, 09:30 »
When I got my 7.5 new a couple of years ago I’m sure the manual send take it easy / no high revs / labouring for first 1000 km - but I kept it easy for a longer period than that.
I also let it warm up gently / warm down on each journey - might be old school, but seems logical. I also turn stop / start off - seems counter intuitive to have a turbo spinning cherry red hot at 17k RPM and then stop dead - again, maybe old school.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2021, 10:08 »
I’d say just drive it ‘normally’, although one person’s normal will be different to another person’s. IMO treating a new car with mechanical sympathy is the order of the day;
  • let the engine oil get up to optimum operating temperature before considering driving ‘enthusiastically’ - not just when the car’s new, but always.
  • don’t labour or over-rev the engine, change gears frequently to avoid driving the car at the same engine rpm for prolonged periods / distances.
  • bed the brakes in and avoid excessively hard braking during the first few hundred miles, unless for emergency braking.
  • new tyres may still have some tyre mould release agent on the treads from the tyre manufacturing process, which may mean grip levels are affected during the first few miles, so scrub the tyres in.
if you’re leasing your car, you might adopt a less sympathetic approach! :grin:;

@Si_Telford; if your car’s DSG, it will change up gears very early, so you might want to consider driving it in manual mode so you can decide what gear to use, rather than let the car making that decision.

Like @Adam T7, I also have stop start switched off. I only turn it on if it’s likely I’m going to be stopped for a decent period of time (e.g. waiting at traffic lights that’ve just turned red).
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2021, 10:11 »
@Si_Telford; if your car’s DSG, it will change up gears very early, so you might want to consider driving it in manual mode so you can decide what gear to use, rather than let the car making that decision.

One of the "new" things in the Mk8 is that there is no full time manual mode.

You can tap the paddles to change gear but after X amount of time it goes back to auto if you don't do more manual shifts.

I don't know yet what the timeout is, but from when i played with the test drive, it didn't seem very long.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2021, 12:32 »
Thanks everyone. With regards to oil temp what are we looking at in Degrees / Fara

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2021, 12:42 »
Thanks everyone. With regards to oil temp what are we looking at in Degrees / Fara

Just have a run around in the car, whatever it says after about 15 mins of actual driving is probably your standard temp you should be looking to reach. It might come up to that before 15 mins but certainly after 15 mins it will be stable.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2021, 12:45 »
85-90 is good enough
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2021, 12:57 »
Thanks Guys. I will get use to it  :smiley: