Author Topic: Slipping Clutch after replacement.  (Read 8667 times)

Offline BigT

• Just got here
Slipping Clutch after replacement.
« on: 30 August 2018, 19:04 »
Hey all,

Recently replaced the clutch on my 16v as it was slipping when I bought it. Put it all back together and has been fine for a few days but now it's slipping again as it did before -  3rd, 4th & 5th when you accelerate. I did some research beforehand and cleaned up the gearbox, new oil, replaced the push rod seal and shaft seal. The push rod seal on it had basically disintegrated and was none existent.
I’ve tried/checked –
•   Cable seems ok, changes gear fine.
•   Can’t see any damage in the cable.
•   Clutch arm rests at 90.
•   Tested clutch – handbrake on, pull away in 3rd, stalls instantly.
•   
It’s got a self-adjusting clutch cable – issues with that? Swap it for a manual one?
Clutch release mechanism  not fully releasing?

Any advice on what to do next/check?
Did I miss something else I should've changed?

Cheers.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
Re: Slipping Clutch after replacement.
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2018, 10:29 »
did you replace the bronze push rod bush behind the seal? and what condition was the flywheel in? if its badly worn you will lose pressure/grip.

Offline Simeon

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2018, 13:20 »
Have you sorted this? Pretty sure the clutch arm should sit slightly below 90degress and should have about 5mm play - manual cable is normally the way to go with these, particularly if you removed and refitted auto cable without resetting it.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2018, 03:05 »
if the push rod seal was wrecked then the bronze bush behind it was probably no better. strip down again i'm afraid :undecided:

Offline davkav

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2019, 21:48 »
particularly if you removed and refitted auto cable without resetting it.

this is more than likely the issue. If the auto adjust type cable was not reset before removing it from the arm it will adjust all the way out and cannot be reset. Once refitted it is keeping constant pressure on the clutch release arm which is causing the clutch to slip under load.