Author Topic: Bit of other stuff  (Read 2370 times)

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
Bit of other stuff
« on: 15 October 2018, 11:12 »
Don't know if this is of much interest, or if I'm getting a bit too 'pipe and slippers' about the detail - but managed to get round to a couple of other jobs that needed doing this weekend.

Bought a new set of VW centre caps for the alloys. They are clean and fresh looking.

Bought the VW bottle opener that doubles as the central separator for the cup holder

Also got the cup holder for the rear. Mine was missing. Removed the old inner plastic section - just a pair of T20 torx screws - and the whole assemble can be removed and replaced with the new one.
At the same time, the entire rear vent assembly can be removed - right down to the individual blades which I was able to repair and slot back into position - so now it all works perfectly.
These parts were filthy - so have bought a portable steamer and some new interior detailing sprays to finish it off another time.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Bit of other stuff
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2018, 12:28 »
It’s always good to get these little things sorted and IMO they make quite a difference visually.

Hope that when you fit the new centre caps you don’t prise the old ones out from the front as the edge of the lacquer on the wheel around the centre bore can be easily damaged. If this happens, it can lead to the onset of whiteworm corrosion.

Much better to remove the wheels and push the old centre caps out from the rear. If you don’t want to remove the wheels, drill a small hole in the old centre cap from the front (put some masking tape on the centre cap to prevent the drill bit from slipping) and hook it out using the wheel bolt cap removal tool.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline simon911abc

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2018, 14:14 »
Good point SRGDT....

I did prise the old ones out - but they popped off incredibly easily, and I used a piece of microfibre between the wheel and the cap, together with a tiny (really tiny) blade. I don't think I've done any damage - but if they had been tricky to remove, I def would have drilled them out.
I popped the old caps into my old wheels - which I sold this weekend.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2018, 18:09 »
Love threads like this  :cool:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.