Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2764817 times)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10030 on: 16 February 2020, 09:11 »
I used mine to take my son to collect his new car - he's been driving for four years, and has some NCB behind him, and has a job which he enjoys in IT.

He's been searching for a while, and was originally looking for a Suzuki Swift Sport, but went off on a slight tangent and discovered that a Polo GTI would provide him with more power.  Which, when you're 23, is important.  Insurance wasn't unreasonable, if you consider £82 per month "not unreasonable".  He managed to find a very nice 2016 three-door in Pure White, the same as my Golf, the traditional tartan GTI upholstery, 26,000 miles, and black alloys, which, apparently, are very cool on a white car.

It has a selection of tyres, Bridgestones on the rear, which are probably original, one of the fronts is the produce of a manufacturer I've heard of, but wouldn't personally buy, the other front is from a manufacturer that I haven't heard of.  All four will be binned and replaced by Michelin PS4's at the earliest opportunity.

It's hardly ideal weather to enjoy the "new car experience", but right now he's a very happy boy.  And that's the only thing that matters.

What a great car for a 23 year old. If I remember right I payed £600 to insure a 205 gti in 1996 ( i was 23 then). I can remember spending hours shopping for insurance. £82 per month sounds pretty good to me.

It's not a bad deal, he's kept his nose clean and earned some NCB, and the policy includes breakdown cover, so it's hard to complain, given his age.

Insurance for my Mk7 GTI was £258, fully comp., with protected NCB.  But then I'm old and (semi) retired.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10031 on: 16 February 2020, 09:19 »
Might be interesting to find out how much any Golf MK7 GTI or a new Polo GTI+ would've cost him in insurance - both have ACC as standard fit. Wonder how much difference having ACC would make for a 23 year old?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #10032 on: 16 February 2020, 10:00 »
Dr Mike’s post brought back fond memories of the thrill of owning a fast car at a young age. The only possible spanner in the works was can I afford to ensure at reasonable cost?
The £600 I paid then is around £1150 in today’s money, so similar to you son’s £82 per month.
The modern hot hatch is far more powerful, faster  but far safer. Looks from this sample of 1 that insurance is no more expensive now than it was then.
Very important to keep your nose clean though. I can remember how annoyed I was at being booked for speeding around a year later. M56 coming into Manchester. I was in a group of cars doing 85-90 just as the traffic had thinned. I slowed when I saw the following police car, so he pulled me over. I got 4 points, probably because I argued with him. You live and learn.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #10033 on: 16 February 2020, 10:19 »
Dr Mike’s post brought back fond memories of the thrill of owning a fast car at a young age. The only possible spanner in the works was can I afford to ensure at reasonable cost?
The £600 I paid then is around £1150 in today’s money, so similar to you son’s £82 per month.
The modern hot hatch is far more powerful, faster  but far safer. Looks from this sample of 1 that insurance is no more expensive now than it was then.
Very important to keep your nose clean though. I can remember how annoyed I was at being booked for speeding around a year later. M56 coming into Manchester. I was in a group of cars doing 85-90 just as the traffic had thinned. I slowed when I saw the following police car, so he pulled me over. I got 4 points, probably because I argued with him. You live and learn.

It was years before I had a truly fast car of my own, but I did have access to a few. My Dad had a works van, so he only needed his own car on Saturday and Sunday mornings - apart from those times, if he wasn't working, he was at the club. Everyone else pootling around in their mam's 1.0 Mini Metros at 17 (back in '92) - I driving my Dad's 2.8 Granada Estate almost any time I wanted.

I had regular access to the boss's company car at 18 - a Granada Scorpio Cosworth. As long as I drove him to and picked him up from the airport when he went away on his frequent trips, I had the car for my own for a few days to a week at a time. I took that thing up to 135mph on a quick burst on the M27 once, just to see what it could do. Then straight back down to 80.

My own first quick car was a Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI not long after I graduated.

It was coppers to get on someone else's insurance at 17/18 back then, and even at 23, that Peugeot cost about £320 to insure.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 10:22 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10034 on: 16 February 2020, 14:52 »
Back in the 90’s (when I was a yoof), I had an Astra GTE 16V and I was delighted to get an insurance quote of ‘only’, £1,700 fully comp.

The car itself was fairly cheap to buy because they were so expensive to insure, so I just accepted it and had fun with it. The premiums started coming down in fairly big chunks, I recall, renewal, £1,350, and then £1,100, but yeah over £4K just on insurance in the first 3 years!    :shocked:
MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10035 on: 23 February 2020, 19:00 »
405 round trip down to Essex this weekend. We were going to take the wife’s Auris but just couldn’t face the long motorway drive with very little power. GTI was faultless. 40 mpg on the way down cruising between 70 and 80. Journey back today started off busy but M1 was pretty clear and had plenty of fast cruising 85 - 90 and some blips above that so only 36.5 mpg. Not bad overall, 405 miles and ave of 37 including some local driving down there 4 up plus our small one 😃
« Last Edit: 23 February 2020, 19:11 by Jim_mk7.5 »
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Toeman

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10036 on: 23 February 2020, 21:50 »
Must not have been too many traffic branch about today doing those speeds

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10037 on: 23 February 2020, 22:10 »
Must not have been too many traffic branch about today doing those speeds

Didn’t see a single police car both ways  :smug:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10038 on: 24 February 2020, 07:45 »
732 mile drive yesterday in 10:45 mins back from the French alps - averaged 68 miles an hour including the slow start down the switchbacks. In total around 1500 miles over the week averaging 33.5 mpg with a full car. I was expecting a little more to be honest, perhaps the Clubsport rear spoiler impacts the MPG  :smiley:

Car was great and extremely sure footed on the Michelin Cross Climates. 
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline MjrSharpe

• Here all the time
« Reply #10039 on: 24 February 2020, 14:01 »
https://imgur.com/a/fhZaARR

Fitted a weighted Black forest industries shift knob. Happy with the results :)
2016 GTI - Tornado Red, M52 remap, DTUK Pedal box, dv+, racingline turbo elbow, forge turbo muffler delete, racingline springs, racingline stage 2 BBK, novus 0.1 wheels, injen induction kit ,st rear anti roll bar, TT short shift, 034 motorsports dogbone upper / lower inserts, sachs organic clutch, custom stainless steel exhaust, res delete, leyo bezels, oettinger rear spoiler, maxton splitter, golf r rear lights