Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2767088 times)

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10010 on: 13 February 2020, 09:14 »
Just me left then.  :huh:

Did you trade or sell privately the PP. Last month I entered talks with a dealer and got offered 13k for a trade in on mine. Tadge disappointed. The other day my nearside wing mirror glass fell out, guess it felt compelled to after the offside departed a few months back. Anyway sat in my local dealers waiting for the fix noticed a TCR in grey. Got to say mate a good looking car  bet you are well chuffed.  :cool:

Do a webuyanycar to get a feel for what your trade in could be. As I've said a few times, I wouldn't have been disappointed to have kept my PP, it is easily the best and most reliable car I've ever had. Having said that, the TCR is already getting to me, it has a real charm to it and the differences are enough to distinguish it from the PP. Plus being keen on cars it is rather nice having something new on the drive!

Very nice Watts, but you do realise any non-TR Golf is automatically slower than any other colour variant!?

How are you getting on with the DSG? I've had mine 2 years today and I'm still not sure about it. Great for lazy driving as are all the electric aids like lane assist, ACC etc but I like to feel involved, I just think maybe modern day cars aren't for me.

If I were to get a decent price for mine I'd sell up and get something older I reckon, just don't know what - any suggestions?

Yes, red is always faster :laugh: Very early days yet with the DSG and I'd agree, it does make for a lazy driver! Not everyone of course! :whistle: I never used the ACC and probably won't on this car, I too like to drive though I fully appreciate that lots don't like the drudgery of a long motorway slog so it is probably very useful. The pedalbox has definitely perked things up a bit but I think it's just a completely different gearbox so you have to accept the quirks, there are plusses too!

I'd love an older car, if I had a garage, and deep pockets. Prices are really on the up! But because of my many UK holidays and trips to visit family, I need something I can depend on so a daily classic is out. If I had the option though, the choice is endless! A 2 door Volvo Amazon would be a good reliable bet, I rather like the old MB SLC (with a V8 naturally!) and a Triumph Stag. BMW 2002? Running costs should be offset by reduced depreciation, perhaps changing once a year might even yield a profit!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10011 on: 13 February 2020, 10:49 »
Your new TCR looks fantastic Watts - congratulations.  Were you able to switch your 'old' pedal box straight over from your Mk 7 6 sp manual to your new DSG TCR with no problems?

I'm about to swap my TR manual Mk 7.5 GTI for a factory order GTI DSG PP in 'a different colour' (!) - I'm still wondering if I will regret my decision re gearbox and colour swaps! 

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10012 on: 13 February 2020, 11:31 »
Your new TCR looks fantastic Watts - congratulations.  Were you able to switch your 'old' pedal box straight over from your Mk 7 6 sp manual to your new DSG TCR with no problems?

I'm about to swap my TR manual Mk 7.5 GTI for a factory order GTI DSG PP in 'a different colour' (!) - I'm still wondering if I will regret my decision re gearbox and colour swaps!

Cheers :smiley:. Yes, just plugged it in with no issues. Just need to try different settings to find what I like.

Colour and gearbox swap is tricky but you've done the hardest part, decided! What colour have you gone for?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #10013 on: 13 February 2020, 16:49 »

I'd love an older car, if I had a garage, and deep pockets. Prices are really on the up! But because of my many UK holidays and trips to visit family, I need something I can depend on so a daily classic is out. If I had the option though, the choice is endless! A 2 door Volvo Amazon would be a good reliable bet, I rather like the old MB SLC (with a V8 naturally!) and a Triumph Stag. BMW 2002? Running costs should be offset by reduced depreciation, perhaps changing once a year might even yield a profit!

The right modern classic can run enjoyed for very little money when you offset running costs against possible appreciation. I have a Mk2 16V GTI, but don't use it anywhere near enough. That will never be sold, but I do fancy buying a stupid V8 just to be able to say I've had one, whilst we are still allowed to.

I wouldn't have either as a daily car tho'. Old car all go wrong at some point, and can't always be repaired quickly due to rarity of parts, so a newish vehicle of some sort needs to be in the fleet.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline CarbonGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10014 on: 13 February 2020, 17:27 »
Watts I've gone for the (rather un-loved on here it seems) Atlantic Blue - a lot more grown up.  I've gone for Brescias again, and also Dynaudio this time.  I loved the TR (my previous Mk 7 GTD was also TR) but I really couldn't have 3 in a row!  The first performance Golf I ever owned was an Indigo Blue (similar to Atlantic) V5 170 manual a long time ago - a flawed machine but I loved it, so thought I'd go for similar colour this time for the PP DSG - I think the red highlights suit it well :O)

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #10015 on: 13 February 2020, 17:48 »
Watts I've gone for the (rather un-loved on here it seems) Atlantic Blue - a lot more grown up.  I've gone for Brescias again, and also Dynaudio this time.  I loved the TR (my previous Mk 7 GTD was also TR) but I really couldn't have 3 in a row!  The first performance Golf I ever owned was an Indigo Blue (similar to Atlantic) V5 170 manual a long time ago - a flawed machine but I loved it, so thought I'd go for similar colour this time for the PP DSG - I think the red highlights suit it well :O)

Atlantic Blue looks very similar to the blue on a Saab 9.3 I had some years back, the only thing I liked about that car! Should look great with the Brescias :smiley: I too had to have a change as much as I loved the TR. Actually this is now my third white car, the only colour I've ever repeated. A MK2 Scirocco (really boring except to look at) and a Lotus Excel (lovely drive, more reliable than I was expecting but then I did set the bar rather low in anticipation :laugh:).
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10016 on: 13 February 2020, 19:46 »

Well ,Mine is Atlantic Blue and I still love it after 18 months of ownership! I've put black Pretoria's on and I think it's rather spiffing. I admit I still turn to look at it after getting out quite often  :grin:
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10017 on: 13 February 2020, 20:00 »
Prepping the car for a journey to Les Deux Alpes - Nice 740 mile drive! Looking forward to testing the Michelin CrossClimates out.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline Dunc245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10018 on: 13 February 2020, 20:54 »
Prepping the car for a journey to Les Deux Alpes - Nice 740 mile drive! Looking forward to testing the Michelin CrossClimates out.

Sorry; me again. I've been running on Cross CLimates for a long time now, and never got around to taking them off last 'summer' either, and I've very impressed with them for an all round, trustworthy in all conditions tyre. Very reassuring on soaked roads etc, but still OK in the dry and seem to be surviving my high mileage driving very well. .
GTI PP 245; Atlantic Blue, Art Velours, Climate windscreen, KSS, genuine 18" Black Pretoria.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #10019 on: 13 February 2020, 21:54 »
I agree they’re a great tyre but yet to test them in snow or ice; very sure footed in the cold and wet and unless you are pushing hard they are a good fast road tyre.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI