Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2764834 times)

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #10960 on: 09 December 2020, 22:47 »
Here's a video of the TCR muffler on my standard GTI. I'll try take better videos at some stage but this is the best I could come up with today.

https://youtu.be/sBOrwp3SGQU
Lovely job👌  How much is tcr box? Will Ur original 7.5 fit a 7? I don’t think🤔 I want any louder but like the look of bigger pipes on 7.5? 😁

Thanks, I really am happy with it I must say.

I paid about €350/370 including shipping.

For a mk7.5 muffler to fit a mk7 you'd have to get the exhaust shop to shorten the pipes (where they exit the muffler) on both sides as like the guys have said, the 7.5 muffler is wider.

The CSS muffler is a straight swap for yours but it will be noisier. Although I haven't heard the CSS muffler in person, if it's anything like the TCR muffler, it's far from obnoxious. It's really just noticeable on cold start, on acceleration and while revving the engine (like a goon  :evil:) not at cruising.
Mk7.5 GTI DSG Tungsten Silver

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10961 on: 09 December 2020, 22:55 »
Here's a video of the TCR muffler on my standard GTI. I'll try take better videos at some stage but this is the best I could come up with today.

Sounds really good that. Assume yours is a 7.5 230 GTI?

Yea that's right Jim, 7.5 230 GTI with 6 speed DSG. It was one of very few GTI's available at the time I was looking. I'd have liked the PP like your old one but I'm delighted with mine still. It only had 11,250miles at 3 years old when I picked her up earlier this year.
I still check the classifieds from time to time and there hasn't been a nicer one, IMO, come up for sale since and very few PPs other than newer ones at a premium. Mine was at the top end of my budget.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #10962 on: 10 December 2020, 07:23 »

Sounds really good that. Assume yours is a 7.5 230 GTI?

Yea that's right Jim, 7.5 230 GTI with 6 speed DSG. It was one of very few GTI's available at the time I was looking. I'd have liked the PP like your old one but I'm delighted with mine still. It only had 11,250miles at 3 years old when I picked her up earlier this year.
I still check the classifieds from time to time and there hasn't been a nicer one, IMO, come up for sale since and very few PPs other than newer ones at a premium. Mine was at the top end of my budget.

Great colour! And a great car. I had a Mk7.5 230 for 12 months which was my first ever GTI experience and loved it. Think the Mk7.5 is going to be desirable for years to come as the Mk8 has too many features that aren’t good.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #10963 on: 10 December 2020, 19:52 »
Put on the space saver as the wife put a lovely big screw into the sidewall of a 3,000km eagle f1  :sick: :sick:
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #10964 on: 11 December 2020, 12:58 »
Put on the space saver as the wife put a lovely big screw into the sidewall of a 3,000km eagle f1  :sick: :sick:

You let your wife near your tools???

This reminded me of something that happened many years ago. There was some sort of function going on in the village where I lived with my parents. There were cars parked all over the place. One of them on our drive in front of Dads garage door. I'll teach them I thought, so got the cordless out and fired a screw in each front tyre. An hour or so later, Mum an Dads car came back, they got out, then the back doors opened and their mates got out too. Jumped into the strange car and drove off. Whoops.  :whistle: :whistle:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #10965 on: 11 December 2020, 17:20 »

This reminded me of something that happened many years ago. There was some sort of function going on in the village where I lived with my parents. There were cars parked all over the place. One of them on our drive in front of Dads garage door. I'll teach them I thought, so got the cordless out and fired a screw in each front tyre. An hour or so later, Mum an Dads car came back, they got out, then the back doors opened and their mates got out too. Jumped into the strange car and drove off. Whoops.  :whistle: :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: They must have worked out what happened?

Offline whogives

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10966 on: 11 December 2020, 19:23 »
Just finish fitting a rear sway bar ..... happy days  :smug:

Good effort, did you use axle stands? It looks an easy enough job on a proper ramp but guess it will be much harder closer to the ground!

Which bar did you install? Have you driven it yet?

Yes used axle stands VERY EASY job,  took about 1 hour ... if you do it just be careful when removing the links off the bar.

I fitted a Hardrace 25.4mm  rear sway bar   all good

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #10967 on: 11 December 2020, 19:32 »

You let your wife near your tools???

Funny story, I love it ! Ya I know my wife drives my car to drop the smallies to school 2 days a week and I take her AMG e class to try and keep the mileage down on my beloved GTI. new tyre ordered anyway and to make myself feel better I’ve just ordered a CSS rear silencer along with the clamp on eBay. Can’t wait to fit it. Should sound good by all accounts !
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Maximusbiggus

• Not said much yet
« Reply #10968 on: 19 December 2020, 11:46 »
Main dealer service carried out, oil change and brake fluid done as it's just over the 3 year old mark with 20k miles. It might be my imagination but the brake pedal feels a tad firmer now after the fresh juice went in.

Offline Pixwix

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #10969 on: 20 December 2020, 08:49 »
Had to undertake the ‘flick the bit of drive door handle off to get to the key slot’..... and then be thankful for the keep a spare keyfob battery in glovebox plan.
As oft mentioned had of course had no warning to say battery was getting low. So on my return to the car after one long walk in the cold , which might have finally killed the battery, couldn’t unlock the car.
Luckily the whole ‘flick’ process worked a treat using the key as the tool. Now must remember to place another spare battery in the glovebox.  :smiley: