Author Topic: MKVI GTI low rpm misfires, EPC fault  (Read 3304 times)

Offline zachmorris1092

• Just got here
MKVI GTI low rpm misfires, EPC fault
« on: 08 August 2016, 09:39 »
So this all started when my girlfriend was driving her GTI up a hill one day and it started shaking at low rpm and running very rough at idle. When you first turn on the car you get low power until EPC light comes on, then the check engine light stays solid. VW dealer first changed the sparks plugs and coil packs, which didn't work. They then said it was the intake and put something in her car that was suppose to clean it out. Car still runs the same.

I hopped on google last week and went through forums to see if I could figure out the problem. I changed the PCV valve and fixed the rough idle, but the car still shakes badly when you give it gas up until 2,800 rpm. Also when the car is cold the shaking is minimal, and as the car warms up it gets worse.

When the shop looked at the car they said the only faults they had were cylinders 1, 3, and 4 misfiring. This was before the PCV valve was changed. I followed another forum guide to continue troubleshooting which said to look for carbon build up and then the fuel injectors. So I pulled out the intake, it didn't look to bad, but cleaned it up and changed all four fuel injectors. No change, not sure what to do with the car now, so this is why I'm here... help!

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: MKVI GTI low rpm misfires, EPC fault
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2016, 20:04 »
Full fault scan would help with exact codes. Which engine??

What is the compression like?
What is the service state? Does fuel come out off all injectors?
If not is the fuel pressure and flow rate ok?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline zachmorris1092

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2016, 20:29 »
It's a 2009 TSI engine with 180,000 miles on it.

I'm going based off of what I was told by the guys who looked at the car. They said the car had good fuel and pressure. I'm not sure if they did a compression test or not. The only fault codes they had were P0301, P0302, and P0303.

I'm trying to get with a friend to see for myself what the car is doing. I was looking towards fuel pressure issues, until they told me the car had good fuel flow and pressure.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2016, 20:55 »
Get it scanned with VW specific equipment, P0xxx codes are from a generic OBD2 reader.

I'll try again - What is the exact engine code?

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2016, 21:05 »
When was the last time the highpressure fuel pump cam follower changed?
Only thing I can think off. Mk5 gtis have it as a problem, not sure if the mk6 has had it altered to stop the wear