Author Topic: GTI Clubsport.....Can't be long now  (Read 203176 times)

Offline Aidey

• Here all the time
Re: GTI Clubsport sad news for now.....Can't be long now
« Reply #620 on: 23 August 2016, 16:38 »
Thanks for that video Volkswizard
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #621 on: 23 August 2016, 18:28 »
Thanks for that video Volkswizard

My pleasure.

The key points of that Clubsport S are;

First WOB CSS I've seen (all others were BS for Braunschweig which is where the skunkworks team behind CS/CSS are based) therefore hopefully representatitive of spec)
First CSS I've seen with the correct black roof
It was a pre-production car with a plaque on centre console saying 000/400
It's on N rated Porsche approved tyres
Contrary to original spec release, it had rear parking sensors
As implied in spec it does indeed have floating front discs with aluminium bells, IIRC correctly this has not been on a Golf since Mk4 R32 but has been on TT RS/RS 3.
Engine is badged TSI picked out in red, some CS pics showed an R badge instead.
That car had done 5000 kms
It's been thrashed round Donington by Pistonheads (await a report)
VW UK Head of Press and PR (ex Porsche GB) was very enthusiastic about it and says 'EVO are all over it' which I took to mean they want a go in the UK too as they wont rate it until driven over here.
He said even though it was sold out he would be running 1 or maybe 2 cars on the UK press fleet as Porsche have done with sold out GT3 RS / GT4 to work on the halo effect for the rest of the range.
He was really pleased that initial suggestions from the press about it being too dear were proven incorrect by the cars selling out on release.

I had a sit in it and can say buckets are comfy and not too restrictive and alcantra wheel is very nice.  Not sure if red marker on steering wheel is for understeer or oversteer though  :nerd:
« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 07:13 by volkswizard »

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #622 on: 23 August 2016, 21:47 »
What i like about Evo is they revisit and so a 4.5 can become a 5. I'd take what they say over PH any day

The discs just look like they have aluminium bells for weight saving

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #623 on: 23 August 2016, 22:14 »

The discs just look like they have aluminium bells for weight saving

They do save weight although the discs will be bigger than those on the normal CS so be interesting to know if they are lighter.
The main benefit is that they are less prone to distortion from excessive heat.

This is from the Brembo web site;

"Why use a two-piece "floating" disc assembly?

There are several reasons that a two-piece floating disc assembly is of benefit. First, by using an aluminium bell for the hub section of the disc saves a great deal of weight. Since this is both rotating and unsprung, it benefits the acceleration, braking, and handling of the vehicle. Secondly, it is better able to handle the large temperature changes that a brake disc experiences. During severe use, temperature variances become present in a one-piece disc and generally cause warping of the disc. This not only results in vibration of the vehicle, and pulsing of the brake pedal, but also pushes the pistons farther away from the disc. In a two-piece floating disc assembly, the iron disc heats up more uniformly, and the controlled float which is present allows for the differential expansion of the very hot brake disc, and the relatively cool aluminium bell. This allows the disc to be used under severe conditions without having a detrimental effect."

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #624 on: 23 August 2016, 22:25 »
Has there been anything to say they are actually fully floating as looking at your video to me they don't look like a true incarnation

I've hoofed my R round on a 360mm 6 pot fully floating set up and aware of the benefits, especially since its gone back to standard

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time
« Reply #625 on: 24 August 2016, 07:12 »
Has there been anything to say they are actually fully floating as looking at your video to me they don't look like a true incarnation

I've hoofed my R round on a 360mm 6 pot fully floating set up and aware of the benefits, especially since its gone back to standard

I wasn't aware there was a variation between floating and fully floating.
All I can say for definite is that they aren't 1 piece steel discs and the bell is alloy, the disc is mounted by pins to the bell. I've just checked official info from VW and can't find a mention of it but I have read it somewhere so probably in one of the many reports from the 'ring launch day.

They look the same type as those fitted to front of;

Mk4 R32
Mk1 TT 3.2
B5 RS4
B7 RS4
TT RS
RS 3

So if they are fully floating then I am confident the CSS's are to.

Would be interested to know the difference between floating and fully floating Wigit.

The angle of this pic doesn't help but you can just see the pins and there is a gap between bell and disc
IMG_3403 by Andrew Chapple, on Flickr
« Last Edit: 24 August 2016, 07:23 by volkswizard »

Offline SCOTTE

• Not said much yet

Offline volkswizard

• Here all the time

Offline vipergts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #628 on: 24 August 2016, 11:48 »
Called by my Dealer today to tell me there's no news on build date for my CS let alone my CSS.

Says there's a parts supply issue

Madness

Offline clubsport

• I live here
« Reply #629 on: 24 August 2016, 12:34 »
Dispute is apparently resolved,

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/industry/volkswagen-suppliers-dispute-finally-comes-to-an-end/53837671

I always thought there was down time in German factories in August for holidays & re tooling, so it wouldn't take much to cause a disruption in the build process.