Author Topic: Replacing interior on Mk7 GTI  (Read 3247 times)

Offline nigw

• Just got here
Replacing interior on Mk7 GTI
« on: 07 February 2019, 09:01 »
I've got a 2013 5dr GTI. It's a great car, but I'm thinking of updating to a newer one at around 2016-2017. The problem for me is that I really want the leather interior; my current car has it but very few on the market do. I could buy the replacement before selling my current one - so was just wondering how simple it would be to swap the seats and doorcards over? Has anyone done this on the Mk7?

Thanks

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Replacing interior on Mk7 GTI
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2019, 09:31 »
Expensive even if you can do it...

Use the cost of doing it to add to your pile of cash and order a new car to your spec rather than buy a 2017 plate? Probably not far off if you use drive the deal and take the VWFS contribution... its currently an extra £500...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline nigw

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2019, 12:24 »
Thanks, but I was asking how simple it is to swap over. Not sure why it should be expensive (unless there's some coding issue?). I'd be swapping the interiors between my new and old car, before selling the old one.

Cheers

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2019, 13:00 »
Its not a difficult job at all. The door cards pop off easily enough if you use the right tools and some care. The front seats only have a few bolts holding them in and out they come.
The problems I see are:

- you're considering putting an "old" interior into a new car. Is the leather in very good nick? The look of the leather seats also changed a bit in the MK 7.5.
- will the seller be keen on you doing this? I'd say a main dealer would run a mile from the idea.
- the new car will need to have heated seats in order for your leather seat heaters to work.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline nigw

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2019, 13:17 »
Thanks Joe. I'd be selling my current car privately - not as a p/ex. I don't need to sell one to free up enough cash for the other, so I can own both at the same time and not advertise until I'd swapped the interior.

The leather in my car is in perfect condition, but thanks for the heads up on the seat design change for Mk7.5.

I might find the replacement spec car I want.....I was just pondering alternatives! Perhaps too much hassle - esp re heated seats requirement.

Thanks again.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2019, 14:26 »
Its not a difficult job at all. The door cards pop off easily enough if you use the right tools and some care. The front seats only have a few bolts holding them in and out they come.
The problems I see are:

- you're considering putting an "old" interior into a new car. Is the leather in very good nick? The look of the leather seats also changed a bit in the MK 7.5.
- will the seller be keen on you doing this? I'd say a main dealer would run a mile from the idea.
- the new car will need to have heated seats in order for your leather seat heaters to work.

I assume the OP would take the tartan seats out of his new car and put them in his old car - so essentially his old car would have much newer seats so will look mint to sell privately. Makes sense if you like leather I guess and can't find the right spec car.

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2019, 14:57 »
Thanks Joe. I'd be selling my current car privately - not as a p/ex. I don't need to sell one to free up enough cash for the other, so I can own both at the same time and not advertise until I'd swapped the interior.

The leather in my car is in perfect condition, but thanks for the heads up on the seat design change for Mk7.5.

I might find the replacement spec car I want.....I was just pondering alternatives! Perhaps too much hassle - esp re heated seats requirement.

Thanks again.

That sounds much more do-able so, if you have the 2 cars side by side and no dealer is involved!
Re the seat heaters, I think even the cloth seats have come heated in most cars in recent times (with the winter pack), so you might be OK there.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2019, 15:08 »
If (as you say) you've not got to sell your old car prior to buying your new one, this gives you loads more flexibility when buying and (unless you're desperate to change) could easily wait until the exact right spec (or at least, close enough) comes up.

That's what I'd do in your position, although I do know how hard it is to wait for the right one sometimes lol.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2019, 16:44 »
Aren't there other things electrical in the seats besides the heating connections?

Other things to do with the accident restraint systems? Seatbelt warning passenger detection at the very least.

It probably needs some sort of coding at the very least, assuming of course that the sensors are compatible between the two vehicles? VW make subtle changes like that...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2019, 18:21 »
Active head restraints, side airbags etc.

Sure it can be done, but it's not something i'd attempt myself on a new car that's under warranty.
7.5 GTD