Author Topic: Some gttdi advice needed  (Read 5227 times)

Offline ian24driver

• GTI forum regular
Some gttdi advice needed
« on: 17 September 2014, 21:45 »

Off to view a GT TDI 150bhp (arl engine) next week and apart from the cam issue with this engine is there anything else I need to check has been done by the previous owners? Or anything that could be an issue, the mileage is 148k and advertised as serviced when it should be by VW.

Never owned a mk4 so its all new stuff for me.
Thanks guys

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Re: Some gttdi advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 19 September 2014, 09:16 »
You should be good. The cams are hit and miss, just hope you get lucky. Cam belt replacement/clutch replacement at that mileage probably should have been carried out maybe the same for the turbo. Check around the engine for the usual. I'd probably say most of the bushes will be shot at that age so shuold have been replaced some when.

Great cars, be sure to take it for a test drive and give it the beans - want to make sure it isn't a limp mode issue.

Offline ian24driver

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2014, 17:10 »
Thanks.

I ended up buying it. Has boat loads of receipts and history with it. Had front wishbones replaced last year,Bosch battery,Bosch alternator along with new dunlops on each corner. Cambelt,pump etc last july, serviced last month. Pulls like a train through all the gears, not smokey, excellent bodywork. 

Offline SI74

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2014, 20:09 »
Sounds like you got a good one. Biggest thing is the belt should be done in round every 60,000 miles but that's been covered.

Offline ian24driver

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2014, 21:22 »

Hope so. As far as I know its still on the original turbo which is the only issue at the back of my mind. With 147k on the clock will it make 200k before it goes or is it pot luck with those things.