Author Topic: Finally did it... DSD  (Read 8678 times)

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
Finally did it... DSD
« on: 26 March 2014, 11:42 »
 :lipsrsealed:

Ordered a hard pipe kit & a new IC.

I had enough when the pipe broke a couple of weeks ago, been crusing along trying to not to boost to high as I don't want another pop of pipe situation.

This has to be the best IC upgrade possible out there, very future proof & re sale value should I ever sell the old boat. Hopefully I'll have it in time to fit this weekend  :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: Finally did it... DSD
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2014, 17:36 »
Been looking at the hard pipe kit myself.

Hate how it 'starts' at £275 then by the time you tick the options its £380. Then you have to add VAT  :angry:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2014, 23:28 »
Been looking at the hard pipe kit myself.

Hate how it 'starts' at £275 then by the time you tick the options its £380. Then you have to add VAT  :angry:

I know. So decieving. I only ordered the S3 IC as well as other wise I'd have to pay £45 each for two billet adaptors!? The maths is backwards but I think I'm saving money  :rolleyes:

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2014, 23:39 »
If anyone buys this kit get some else to fit it for them. Holy f**k. What a ball ache!

Granted I was taking my time, and made it longer by possibly not taking the radiator off to begin with. The kit 'only' just fits. I am not too pleased with it be honest. All of the silicon bends were not pre cut. I understand that each car will be different but I spent a good 90 mins trying to get this one bend to fit. And one of the pipes made up was not the best fit, at least in my opinion.

As I said, each car will be slightly different, but I took a damn long time getting them to fit. I still have work to do tomorrow on one of the joins...Not overly impressed for a £350 kit.

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #4 on: 02 April 2014, 19:39 »
isn't the kit for the 150PD. so surely every pipe and bend should fit the 150PD perfectly. If it was a universal kit I would expect some of what you've said.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #5 on: 02 April 2014, 20:27 »
isn't the kit for the 150PD. so surely every pipe and bend should fit the 150PD perfectly. If it was a universal kit I would expect some of what you've said.

It has 3 alloy pipes, 2 fit just fine. The one going from the turbo to the IC is an absolute nightmare. It fitted fine after I called them and got some advice.

It is all done and dusted now, I'll get some pics when I get my proper phone back. I am now afraid of giving it full boost  :lipsrsealed:

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2014, 10:54 »
I really need one for mine as the clips are all belt and some of the pipes are half out and others are held together by jubilee clips at 45 deg over the joins. it's not pretty, but touch wood no blow offs yet!

Like you say the price is so misleading. Really you'd want to fit the S3 IC too so it's all done properly, but you can't get around the EGR valve as that will always have the clip and be the weak point :( £800 is a lot for what is it.
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2014, 16:53 »
I really need one for mine as the clips are all belt and some of the pipes are half out and others are held together by jubilee clips at 45 deg over the joins. it's not pretty, but touch wood no blow offs yet!

Like you say the price is so misleading. Really you'd want to fit the S3 IC too so it's all done properly, but you can't get around the EGR valve as that will always have the clip and be the weak point :( £800 is a lot for what is it.

Where abouts are you with your car? I put the S3 IC in and have had an EGR for a year or so now. If I could have I would have done it bit by bit, but if you did that you'd have to buy the billet adaptors (£45 x 2)... I just slapped it on the rewards card - pay it back over 3/4 months.

Offline xxpenxx

• Here all the time
  • .: Eat Me :.
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2014, 12:00 »
Scar, I know naff all to be fair. So what have you infact spent all that money on. I mean what does it actually do, what difference/gains do you get from it?

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2014, 12:07 »
Scar, I know naff all to be fair. So what have you infact spent all that money on. I mean what does it actually do, what difference/gains do you get from it?

I replaced the standard intercooler and all of the pipework for it.

Got it from darksidedevelopments. They do a custom pipework kit for it, which ties very nicely with the S3 intercooler. It has future proofed the car to the max, stopped the issue that the VWs have with their stupid clip system-so they won't keep popping off under boost!

I have also noticed a pretty decent rise in economy on long Mway runs...Curious if this could be why.  :smiley: