Author Topic: Black vinyl trim  (Read 57093 times)

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
Re: Black vinyl trim
« Reply #120 on: 29 April 2011, 21:49 »
finally went for it and very happy...
Brian

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=190452.10

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
« Reply #121 on: 25 May 2011, 19:08 »
Bought a product off the tv shopping channel the other day called showroom shine Tyres and trim
 and it seems to work very well indeed.

Offline RFC84

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #122 on: 18 August 2011, 17:10 »
Think im gonna use Auto Glym bumper care. Gonna apply it with a sponge, whats best to buff it off with??

Offline mellow yellow

• I live here
  • A Driffield Dubber!
« Reply #123 on: 09 September 2011, 13:18 »
Think im gonna use Auto Glym bumper care. Gonna apply it with a sponge, whats best to buff it off with??

a microfibre.

Offline Bandit127

• Here all the time
« Reply #124 on: 12 May 2012, 18:33 »
I used this stuff on mine last weekend. It smells like boot polish and has a black pigment in it.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_160886_langId_-1_categoryId_255233

It brought the trim up proper black.

It has survived a 500 mile trip in pouring rain without streaking or fading. It is messy to put on though - all to easy to accidentally get black marks on the paint (which does polish off OK though). Since it has black pigment I am hoping that it lasts a bit longer than a plain oil.

I am thinking I paid a fiver for the same thing as the cheap Morrisons job though.

marcevs72

« Reply #125 on: 16 September 2012, 20:20 »
no need for any products just a hot airgun.it brings the oils in the plastic back to the surface so looks like new again and lasts.my oakie trim was almost white when i got it and ended up like this after half an hour with hotair gun.

Offline rfn_hodgson

• Here all the time
« Reply #126 on: 08 January 2013, 19:57 »
dude i used boot polish that come in the tin on my old mk3 absolutely cake it on then use a boot brush to brush off and it lasts a lot longer than any other product ive used :)

VW Golf MK4 1.8 Turbo AUQ 203 BHP-more now :) , ultimate vacuum delete, Forgre 007p-new piston, Oil catch can, s3 boost set up, FMIC, silicone TIP, full turbo back exhaust, stage 1 map, lowered on V-maxx coilovers  audi tt Quattro alloys

Offline ABD

• Just got here
« Reply #127 on: 25 February 2013, 09:34 »
Hi guys, I have tried all kinds of oils and stuff, so I want to reblack bumpers with heat gun.
But when I try to heat them there is no change in color only small bubbles comes on surface, its like some kind of clear coat on bumper that faded, I cant take it off. any help?

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #128 on: 02 March 2013, 08:55 »
Wet your finger and touch the bumper with it, if it turns black this generally means it can be saved. If not, well its new bumper time! And by the sounds of it, your hot air gun attempt has probably melted half the bumper anyway!  :grin:

Two of the best products on the market below, and will easily last a year and more without needing to be re-applied. Any of the carplan stuff isn't worth the bottle it comes in!

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/carpro-cquartz-dlux-30ml-kit-for-wheels-and-plastic-trim.php?cPath=28

or

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/gtechniq-c4-permanent-trim-restorer-15ml.php?cPath=28

Yes they are tiny amounts, but you don't need a lot at all!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2013, 08:57 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline RichardBaronGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #129 on: 02 March 2013, 13:32 »
Mate mine were completely grey and I used linseed oil check my project thread the pics really don't do it justice really took them back to black!