Author Topic: MK8 GTI test drive  (Read 5659 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: MK8 GTI test drive
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2020, 16:51 »
Looks quite good in that first picture, to be honest, and I do think it's going to make the Mk7/7.5 look dated quite quickly.

Backend looks odd from straight on, can't quite put my finger on it.

Really interesting to hear a proper drivers opinion rather than a journo. So the ride was fine on 18s without dcc? Wonder what it’ll be like on 19s without it?

The ride on 18s was firmer than my Clubsport (also on 18s). I personally would spec DCC with 19s but it depends on the weight of the 19s on the MK8. DCC is supposed to be one of the plus points of the MK8 so I would spec it on 18s too.

So in the Volkswizards review, it sounds like there is a standard adjustable chassis without DCC, with Comfort and Sport settings. Did you try it? Wonder what system that is and what it's actually changing?

Reviews suggest the DCC is massively improved over the Mk7 though so imagine most people spec'ing their own car will add that.

EDIT - just seen the reviews thread!

I agree with you Jim, I think the MK7 will date quickly but it is a great design. This was very apparent to me watching Volkswizard’s latest video when his TCR and the loan MK8 GTI were in the same shot, I thought the TCR looked dated compared with the MK8.

I know what you mean about the rear in the second image, it looks a little squashed but it does looks better in the flesh.

I did try the different modes and there is a difference but as I mentioned in the review post ‘comfort’ is not conformable and I found ‘Sport’ better in general and more compliant.
when I watched the volkswizard video I still thought the TCR looked better than the mk8. The proportions just look better on the 7.5.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2020, 17:17 »
How does the Mark 8 exhaust compare to the 7.5 Performance?

Very similar, there are a few decent clips in the Volkswizard video, link copied below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=lywTAMqWwPY
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2020, 20:09 »
Despite some truly dreadful pcp quotes, my brother has decided to test drive a gti on Wednesday. Hoping to get a full debriefing.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline evo1986

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2020, 20:33 »
Ask him to get in touch with me to see what I can do in comparison  :wink:
Sales Manager
Select Car Leasing West Midlands
Leeevans@selectcarleasing.co.uk
WhatsApp: 07389107119

Former General sales manager at Volkswagen for over 13 years.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2020, 20:35 »
I still don't understand how he's getting such sucky figures... so here's my workings:

So I reckon he's got 69 quid a month (plus interest) of extras over me, another 69 quid a month because he's being mad enough to not put down some more cash as deposit and avoid paying interest... so thats 538 a month.... maybe £22 a month in interest, that's making it 560 but he did put in a smaller mileage (10k as opposed to 12k), maybe that adjusts the GFV a bit, but clearly not much!

Five hundred and sixty quid a month... that feels like a shocking price to pay for warm hatch, but I think its about correct compared to my quote, the only real differences being basically having to pay back and pay interest on 2500 quid of extras and missing 2500 of deposit, so paying that off plus interest.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 November 2020, 21:16 »
Ask him to get in touch with me to see what I can do in comparison  :wink:

I might well do that, Lee. He’s at the point where he’s thinking he’ll see what the cars like and if he doesn’t like it he’ll go back to an Audi SQ5 or similar.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2020, 21:24 »
I still don't understand how he's getting such sucky figures... so here's my workings:

So I reckon he's got 69 quid a month (plus interest) of extras over me, another 69 quid a month because he's being mad enough to not put down some more cash as deposit and avoid paying interest... so thats 538 a month.... maybe £22 a month in interest, that's making it 560 but he did put in a smaller mileage (10k as opposed to 12k), maybe that adjusts the GFV a bit, but clearly not much!

Five hundred and sixty quid a month... that feels like a shocking price to pay for warm hatch, but I think its about correct compared to my quote, the only real differences being basically having to pay back and pay interest on 2500 quid of extras and missing 2500 of deposit, so paying that off plus interest.

I find it really frustrating tbh Fred as I’m not directly involved. Totally agree though that the prices quotes are shocking. When I put his figures into the Vw  finance calculator I get better figures straight away. Tbf he’s not a car person so isn’t aware of the ins and outs as most on here are.

Although I’m a life long Vw fan, this will probably be the last performance Golf I get because I’m not paying those prices. For me, the car simply isn’t worth it. It’s a Golf.

Oh and please remind me of this if I end up in a CS.  :whistle:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2020, 21:41 »
if he doesn’t like it he’ll go back to an Audi SQ5 or similar.

I just ran a quick quote on that, five hundred quid down, 36 months, 10k miles... Its nine hundred quid a month.

Makes a gti seem cheap...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 02 November 2020, 21:44 »
if he doesn’t like it he’ll go back to an Audi SQ5 or similar.

I just ran a quick quote on that, five hundred quid down, 36 months, 10k miles... Its nine hundred quid a month.

Makes a gti seem cheap...

Correct. But I think he sees the value in that being an Audi S model though. Which I don’t! He’s had a few which I know haven’t been cheap at all.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 04 November 2020, 19:13 »
My brother finally test drove a gti today. Very underwhelmed and is no longer interested in the car. I’ve always thought he is odd.