Author Topic: My mk8 in the flesh visit  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
Re: My mk8 in the flesh visit
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2020, 17:48 »
Looks fine to me. Yeah the wheel design is contrived and I've seen better. But when 19's and DCC are an extra £1500 I think I could be persuaded to put up with them.
7.5 GTD

Offline mistac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 09 November 2020, 17:48 »
My local dealer (part of Marriott Motor Group) not only does not have any GTI's, but it virtually has no vehicles in the whole showroom and has not had for many months - when I asked I was told it was Covid related but seems at odd with numerous other showrooms on this forum - shame as I would personally like to see vehicles in there!.
Again I appear to be in the minority, but I love the standard 7.5 and 8 alloys - best alloys I have ever had - look good (imo) and dead easy to keep clean - need to be careful not to damage them but that applies to all alloys 
« Last Edit: 09 November 2020, 17:58 by mistac »
GTI 7.5 Performance 5dr DSG Tornado Red - completely standard spec as - it comes out of the tin as they say

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #12 on: 09 November 2020, 17:50 »
Looks fine to me. Yeah the wheel design is contrived and I've seen better. But when 19's and DCC are an extra £1500 I think I could be persuaded to put up with them.

About 20 quid a month? Ok tyres will be more expensive too, but...

The real thing I don't know is just how bad the thing rides on 19's even with DCC vs 18's.

I'd certainly at this time not feel happy about dropping the coin on it without trying the options out, given what has been said about it being rather firmer than the Mk7.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 09 November 2020, 18:00 »

About 20 quid a month? Ok tyres will be more expensive too, but...

The real thing I don't know is just how bad the thing rides on 19's even with DCC vs 18's.

I'd certainly at this time not feel happy about dropping the coin on it without trying the options out, given what has been said about it being rather firmer than the Mk7.

Depends if they add anything to the GFV, but if they don't then it's going to be more like £40 extra per month over 3 years. Plus the more expensive tyres and the extra propensity for kerb rash. As you say though, the most important factor will be living with the ride quality.
7.5 GTD

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2020, 19:05 »
My local dealer (part of Marriott Motor Group) not only does not have any GTI's, but it virtually has no vehicles in the whole showroom and has not had for many months - when I asked I was told it was Covid related but seems at odd with numerous other showrooms on this forum - shame as I would personally like to see vehicles in there!.
Again I appear to be in the minority, but I love the standard 7.5 and 8 alloys - best alloys I have ever had - look good (imo) and dead easy to keep clean - need to be careful not to damage them but that applies to all alloys

My dealer is the same. Their showroom has had no more than 2-3 cars in it since they reopened after the first lockdown, and those cars were locked when I was last there in September. They can probably comfortably fit around a dozen cars in the showroom, although 12 cars to keep sanitised, and maintaining social distancing with potential customers browsing might be difficult at busy times, especially as their service advisor team are also based in the showroom.

I’m not keen on the mk8 GTI’s standard wheels. I don’t like the five arm swastika design, and I like the diamond cut finish even less. But hey, it’s good we don’t all like the same things :smiley:.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2020, 20:00 »
In my eyes I feel that the MK8 GTI somehow suits a colour that allows the plastic trim to stand out, I don’t find these pics that bad, white is another colour I like. I still can’t find any love for the 18s though.

Offline Paul70

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 09 November 2020, 21:50 »
In my eyes I feel that the MK8 GTI somehow suits a colour that allows the plastic trim to stand out, I don’t find these pics that bad, white is another colour I like. I still can’t find any love for the 18s though.

I agree with you Mag_Pie, I prefer white and silver. Agree with views on the wheels, they for sure will not grow on me and in my view the car would look so much better with aftermarket 19s, probably drive better too.
2016 MK7 Clubsport ED40 3 Door Manual Reflex Silver with Recaros
2013 MK7 GTI Black 5 Door (Non PP)
Long gone -1984 Helios Blue Campaign MK1 GTI

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 10 November 2020, 07:58 »
The Mark 8 is slowly growing on me. I think the 18s look ok to me. The 19s do look better but I'm guessing not as good for ride quality or rubber life.