Author Topic: UK Configurator is up....  (Read 10585 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: UK Configurator is up....
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2020, 11:43 »
From what I can see so far, looks like no Climate Screen for Mk8, even as an option, which if correct is a bit of a shame.

Yes, that like leather is missing so far.... got to be a mistake.

Why is this always a chuffing nightmare?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2020, 11:46 »
When I specced up a GTE earlier, leather was added by default. I had to de-select it.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2020, 11:58 »
Looks like the "We Connect" stuff is all subscription based too. The base spec says "Preparation for "We Connect" and "We Connect Plus" and the owners manual talks about setting up your subscriptions...

Isn't it about time this junk was all consigned to history? Wireless ACP/AA should be able to seemlessly replace this OEM garbage.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2020, 12:01 »
"Illuminated grille and door handles"

Standard.... pimp my ride called, they want their ideas back.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2020, 12:05 »
Looks like all of the data based stuff (nav updates, software updates, streaming, we connect etc) can EITHER use the built in VW esim or your phone (via you turning on a wifi hotspot). If you use the esim, you have to basically setup a monthly payment plan for a data allowance....

This is all interesting stuff, its at least letting me see the limitations before I spunk any cash.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 24 September 2020, 12:20 »
BTW on colour choices....

Moonstone Grey
£375 1£375, Other options at additional costs may be required

Pure White
Additional costs may apply

Atlantic Blue metallic
£625  Other options at additional costs may be required

Deep Black Pearl
£625 Other options at additional costs may be required

Dolphin Grey Metallic

Kings Red Metallic
£695 Other options at additional costs may be required

Reflex Silver metallic

Oryx White mother-of-pearl
£1,040 Other options at additional costs may be required

So the colour they show you by default (Moonstone) is paid for.... white is free... but might cost you something that they don't explain!!

Not sure if Moonstone is the same colour as the TCR? Might be.

As for the others, Dolphin is new and its errm dark grey, almost black. Kings Red, we have seen a lot of press cars in, looks good but I'm sure thats the colour Renault have used for a while.

Renault Hypnotic Red:

Shame Tornado Red is gone.... is this a first for VWUK? There have always been TR GTI's no?

PS German konfigurator doesn't show any other GTI colours too...
« Last Edit: 24 September 2020, 12:24 by fredgroves »

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 24 September 2020, 12:54 »
Don't know if this may ruffle one or two feathers, but the 'premium' Kings Red isn't exclusive to the GTi. It's also available for the Life and Style (but not R-Line) trims.

Edit: Kings Red is available for R Line trim after all.
« Last Edit: 24 September 2020, 14:28 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 24 September 2020, 13:06 »
@ Fredgroves    Someone has had a busy morning deconstructing the VW Configurator....very useful

My own few comments are:

Colours are not inspiring but Kings Red as a metallic paint option would be what I choose with a GTI or Oryx White. (I won't want a flat/solid colour), but £1,040 was always a huge cost (would definitely not let the car washers near the car with paying that amount for paint).  So Kings Red and a more average £695 is a better all round option.

Wheels - As I thought 182 Richmond as standard on UK version. I do actually like these after not really liking GTI wheels since 2007. But I find it ironic that they sorted the wheel design out (IMO) and then ruined the car with that front bumper (large gaping mouth and 5 diamond Fogs).

Seats - I like the all in one seat designs, lets hope they are comfy, but they seem to have downgraded with no insignia/stitched in "GTI".  I noticed the GTE had a leather option but that wasn't available in the GTI, its either configurator screw-up or you can't yet order leather in a UK GTI (what the logic would be I don't know). But I like the look of black leather seats with red piping on German Configurator.

Options - Don't like that Keyless is standard but I knew that was coming a long time ago.
              Winter Pack - Seems churlish that its not standard after the end of 7.5  Its been standard since MY17 (from approx. May   
              2016, I skilfully bought mine before it was standard...boo!)
              DCC - interesting that there are two options depending on size of wheels but that should mean a better tailored set-up
              Pro Nav - I am glad it wasn't just me, I had been looking at that option and what else it gave you and I could only   
              conclude it was the option for streaming.  Well £1600 is better spent elsewhere in the option list (or not at all)
              Spare Wheel - I consider this essential item, so VW were one of last bastions of spare wheel and they have dropped       
              them to the option list as well now. When did I last have a puncture, maybe 2004. Would I want to cover myself with   
              having a spare wheel for what appears to be a rare occurrence. Like insurance I think I would happily pay £100 to save   
              me a night of misery and waiting on that one occasion something happened. But I wouldn't be paying the £100 as I
              would be adding that to my free rubber mats that I expect with a car purchase (in reality probably never had free mats   
              but I like to think I got something)

Lights - I like others could live with normal LED headlights, I know the matrix headlights are £430 option on the Audi A3/S3

AC - Nice to have 3 zone climate, but sure I could live with 2 zone. Don't have too many passengers so seems unnecessary.

No mention of Akrapovic exhaust (of course that might be reserved for Cup and R only). Not that I want it at £3,000 but thought it might be there.

I think the GTE is closer on price than last time....or is that just because the GTI has been bumped up. Anyway I don't like the wheels on the GTE standard or option. 

So I am waiting to see what Cup and R will offer.   

« Last Edit: 24 September 2020, 13:15 by AndyGTI »
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 24 September 2020, 13:13 »
does the Pro nav include the HK sound system ? You can't have them both specified which is odd as I have the Pro Nav and Dynaudio in my 7.5

Thats interesting.... you are right too. WTF that means is anyone's guess.

I hate this and as I said earlier, I was bitten before on the 14 plate Mk7 I had. Not good enough really for multi-hundred pound options.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 24 September 2020, 13:18 »
@ Fredgroves    Someone has had a busy morning deconstructing the VW Configurator....very useful

LOL

I've been waiting for this day for some time, thought I might as well share my morning of "discovery".

Not including the winter pack is a bit rum. TBH not having any "packs" is a bit naff too.

I checked ze german website and couldn't find leather seats on that either btw.

Really looks like they are narrowing the options down for WLTP testing reasons - every combo has to have a test figure...

I'm hoping that the keyless has the new counter-theft sensor in the keyfob - if you don't move it for a while, it stops sending. Won't stop a carpark jack, but would stop doorstep sniffing.