Author Topic: Competition - Audi S3  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Competition - Audi S3
« on: 13 August 2020, 11:21 »
If could get the prices close it would be the new S3 over a MK8 R everyday

About the only thing really do not like is the removal of the STronic lever. There is still some buttons and the cabin layout is much nicer. 

The standard wheels are meh, but there is a nice set of 19" you can switch to. Just configured one as would like and for me just looks so much better than the Golf equivalent.

Interesting to see that have ditched the magnetic ride for the DCC we know on the Golfs.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-audi-s3-sportback-and-saloon-arrive-306bhp
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Juicetin

• GTI forum regular
Re: Competition - Audi S3
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2020, 12:03 »
I really like the new S3 release too, will be interesting to see where the Golf R prices come out at.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2020, 12:11 by Juicetin »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2020, 12:57 »
I thought the new S3 looked just as terrible as the Mk8 does tbh.

If you hate one, you'll hate the other IMHO.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2020, 13:28 »
I thought the new S3 looked just as terrible as the Mk8 does tbh.

If you hate one, you'll hate the other IMHO.

Unfortunately we all have to make our evaluations against the current styling vogue and though there is much do not like across the ranges and feel previous editions were better styled, have tailored my view to comparing to direct competition. 

very happy with my TCR think the MK 7.5 styling is nailed on the best in recent times and its going to be a keeper given what seeing coming from the marquee brands now.

Only brand where can readily state improved is the Mercedes A35 as everything is better than the previous model, and be interested to see the facelift version.

Back to the S3, think it's as good as will see on the current styling vogue and when you beef the wheels up it looks pretty decent. Even though aspects not like on the interior, too angular, loss of the STronic lever, its much nicer than the MK 8

If had to choose MK 8 R or new S3 it would be the S3 pretty easily.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2020, 15:13 »
Based on looks it would be the S3 absolutely hands down. But as a previous S3 owner it would be the R if they drive like previous generations.

Looking forward to seeing all the VAG hot hatches in the new generation. Really hoping there’s an ABT option as well like on the Leon Cupra ST.

I bet the S3 will be pretty decent on finance as it was last time.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2020, 12:20 »
That S3 dashboard  :sick: Them vents!  : :sick:
Sorry don't think I could live with that dashboard day in day out.
Fronts ends overstyled imo too.
Sad to say but I'm still thinking of finding a last of 7.5R or RS3 as the new generation just repel me at the moment sadly  :sad:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2020, 16:07 »
Personally I quite like the exterior looks of the new S3 but don’t like those Audi grille air vents by the dash pod at all.
I had a look at a base model showroom A3 a few weeks ago and have to say the quality has dropped compared to the outgoing model inside and I actually prefer the A1 interior which doesn’t look massively behind in quality.

I spent half a mile driving behind a mk8 Golf on the way to work a couple days ago, a flat mid/dark grey car with a WX20*** registration (Carrs of Truro plate) and was surprised how ugly it is from behind too.
I’d kind of focussed mostly on the droop snoot nose previously but the arse is pretty grim too. It’s a very tall looking car from behind and the sharp mk7 lines have been smoothed off for aero purposes and the haunches look very wrong from behind which was always a Golf strong point aside from the bulbous bottomed mk5.
It’s just an all round very ugly car just like the Leon.
I comes to something when you’re sat wondering which cars in the segment don’t actually make you feel nauseous looking at them rather than wondering which looks most attractive.

Snoops, I damn near bought a 20 plate Lapiz R myself this week! Held off though as I’m sick of swapping cars. I just want something reasonably future proof to settle down with until something attractive in EV guise arrives on scene in a few years time so may as well shove the TCR in the garage and bide my time deciding between an M135i or S3.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2020, 20:35 »
Personally I quite like the exterior looks of the new S3 but don’t like those Audi grille air vents by the dash pod at all.
I had a look at a base model showroom A3 a few weeks ago and have to say the quality has dropped compared to the outgoing model inside and I actually prefer the A1 interior which doesn’t look massively behind in quality.

I spent half a mile driving behind a mk8 Golf on the way to work a couple days ago, a flat mid/dark grey car with a WX20*** registration (Carrs of Truro plate) and was surprised how ugly it is from behind too.
I’d kind of focussed mostly on the droop snoot nose previously but the arse is pretty grim too. It’s a very tall looking car from behind and the sharp mk7 lines have been smoothed off for aero purposes and the haunches look very wrong from behind which was always a Golf strong point aside from the bulbous bottomed mk5.
It’s just an all round very ugly car just like the Leon.
I comes to something when you’re sat wondering which cars in the segment don’t actually make you feel nauseous looking at them rather than wondering which looks most attractive.

Snoops, I damn near bought a 20 plate Lapiz R myself this week! Held off though as I’m sick of swapping cars. I just want something reasonably future proof to settle down with until something attractive in EV guise arrives on scene in a few years time so may as well shove the TCR in the garage and bide my time deciding between an M135i or S3.

I would love it if you bought an R again. You’d have had more Mk7s than a main dealer!!  :grin:

Totally agree with you about the current crop of VAG cars. It should be exciting but I find myself trying to like the new ones. Think I’ll finally leave VAG after 20 odd years next time. Nothing I really like at all. Unless I just go off piste and get a TCR or CS. New cars are losing their appeal.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2020, 20:45 »
New cars are losing their appeal.

Well, decide soon because the milk float beckons...

I saw Honda are ditching pure ICE by only 2022 for example.

These are the last gasps of petrol for most of us.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2020, 21:16 »
New cars are losing their appeal.

Well, decide soon because the milk float beckons...

I saw Honda are ditching pure ICE by only 2022 for example.

These are the last gasps of petrol for most of us.

The milk float beckons!!!!!  :grin: Funniest thing I’ve heard in ages. Oh I’m going to use that in conversation.