Author Topic: Golf me 8 TCR  (Read 19329 times)

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
Re: Golf me 8 TCR
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2020, 14:31 »
Seems VW have been briefed their dealerships. 300bhp and Cup is the name

Due for unveiling soon

I wonder if there will be a middle ground version for the Mk8? Something between the 245PS and the Cup?

Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline Vortex

• Just got here
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2020, 17:14 »
Fingers crossed it’s got a gear stick...!  :laugh:

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2020, 19:34 »
Isnt this Clubsport coming out really early in the production lifecycle? In additional it was a limited run for the MK7.

I like the Pretoria wheels, brakes and exhaust, but not the new lower plastic front grill, which has even more black plastic on it.

Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2020, 10:28 »
compared to the MK 7.5 which admittedly have some bias, this has nothing that has you think TCR, overlarge plastic front spoiler that looks like its only purpose is to fill the gap between the bonnet and base, and an understated diffuser.

Like the spoiler tho :)

But its just am awkwardly design mess

EDIT: Having had another good look over, think the rear is ok, the spoiler definitely helps, liveable with, the side view with the Pretoria looks ok too, but that front, really cannot get over it, there is little excuse not to break that front end up from one slab of plastic it is now with a solid central grille and some separated and pronounced air vents as the feature - very fixable and maybe hope for the 8.5 much like the MK 7.5 made the red stripe blend so well and make the GTI, opposed to the slightly awkward red stripe on the MK 7

EDIT: Missed it was to be named a Clubsport which makes more sense given VW not in TCR anymore.

Also makes the TCR a one off run out, which is nice to have as another additional positive.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2020, 12:02 by Hertsman »
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2020, 11:57 »
Seems VW have been briefed their dealerships. 300bhp and Cup is the name

Due for unveiling soon

Where did you see that? I can't find anything solid on that.

I wonder if there will be a middle ground version for the Mk8? Something between the 245PS and the Cup?

I think the answer is a flat no there. I mean what would you want to see? 269ps? 278ps? The "standard" Mk8 GTI already has the front diff etc etc from the old PP version.

If anything, the purpose of a 300bhp fwd GTI is largely irrevelant anyway because of the R. You have to leave some clear differentiators in there or the value proposition falls away.

I can see why you'd realease an ED version - give it some unique graphics, different seats, a titanium exhaust and charge 40k for it, but little point in doing much else.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 27 August 2020, 16:21 »
Isnt this Clubsport coming out really early in the production lifecycle? In additional it was a limited run for the MK7.

I like the Pretoria wheels, brakes and exhaust, but not the new lower plastic front grill, which has even more black plastic on it.

Next year is when the Ed45 is due hence the special edition model so early in the model life.

I think the hot hatch market is shrinking away but is a lucrative niche that VW group previously had more or less a monopoly on for volume sales in recent years, particularly the Golf R 300 bhp 4Wd segment.

The public at large is slowly (being brainwashed into) adopting the idea of owning an EV which on the face of it is no bad thing.
Now Diesel has been demonised people are quickly discovering small capacity petrol turbos in aerodynamically challenged mini SUVs aren’t a happy match. Electric with its instant torque and ease of driving is going to be a massive draw to those that see their car merely as white goods transport.
Hot hatches will become even more marginalised until sexy fast affordable smallish EV’s become available so the manufacturers will have to keep the segment on the boil offering products petrol die-hards will want in a fast changing world.
If Mercedes and BMW have watered down the 4wd 300PS monopoly VW had then the latter needs to bring back in sales from fast FWD cars once more.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #17 on: 18 September 2020, 16:26 »
Still won't be called a TCR  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline clarky92

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 18 September 2020, 16:32 »
That looks great, I’m aiming for one.

MK8 GTI Cup will do me just fine
Currently: MK8 GTI Clubsport - DCC - Reflex Silver - Adelaide 19"s - Rear Camera

Previous: 3x MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 18 September 2020, 19:59 »
The front looks like Wallace from Wallace and Grommet. Can't get away with the huge gaping mouth, just looks odd.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.