Author Topic: Mk2 digi only sparking from coil  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Tommy

• Just got here
Mk2 digi only sparking from coil
« on: 12 February 2017, 16:54 »
Hi would appreciate if anyone can help. mk2 1.8 8v digifant 89 only sparking from coil lead? No spark from dizzy and only sparks wen the fuel pump relay is in? Wen u remove the dizzy and spin it, it sends signal to coil and sparks so guessing the hall sensor is fine?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk2 digi only sparking from coil
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2017, 17:00 »
How do the leads look. If you pop the leads of and try cranking it does the dizzy spark where the ht leads should be?
If coils got power and sparking problems afterthat so it also id say rules out ign amp on top of ecu.

Offline Tommy

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2017, 18:17 »
Do you mean check for a spark from the actual cap? Basically it started first time every time then started running a lil lumpy so adjusted the dizzy by hand and was fine until it cooled down then was hard to start so I mad it worse but still would spark and fire then wouldn't start! Had no spark. The coil looked old so changed it for new. Took the dizzy out and changed with a Spare to check hall sensor. Only thing is the engine turn by hand without the dizzy in so had to put back to tdc. Then put dizzy back in with new cap and rotor arm and newish leads and still nothing so changed the ignition module the old one had a metal plate on the back but the one a changed it with hasn't? Don't no if the makes a difference? But has gave me a spark back to the coil! But only wen the fuel pump relay is in? Surely it should spark without? If you take the dizzy out and spin it is send signal and sparks coil but won't spark the leads? Thanks for the reply

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2017, 19:16 »
is your rotor arm ok?

Offline Tommy

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2017, 19:59 »
Sorry for the late replys am not getting notifications. It has brand new rotar arm and the dizzy is spinning

Offline gazareth

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2017, 20:44 »
has the small carbon gadget fallen out off the dizzy cap by any chance? not sure what you call them :grin: inside the cap, just under where the coil lead sits :wink:

Offline Tommy

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2017, 21:09 »
All the points are still in the cap including the middle one that springs back

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2017, 08:01 »
Have you tried pulling the vac advance off the dizzy and seeing if itll start.
Failing that either ecu relay or ignition switch.
Id try bridging ecu relay 1st and see if that then allows the spark to happen on cranking

Offline Tommy

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2017, 17:40 »
It doesn't have vac advance different dizzy

Offline Brighouse-gti

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2017, 22:23 »
So you said...
Basically it started first time every time then started running a lil lumpy so adjusted the dizzy by hand and was fine until it cooled down then was hard to start so I mad it worse but still would spark and fire then wouldn't start!
It sounds like you've created the problem and made it worse! The original symptom of it running a little lumpy?.. What made you want to adjust with the dizzy from that? As mad as it sounds I'd be tempted to put everything back on what you've swapped out and re-time it all up to see what happens, making sure you reset the ECU memory. A lot of things could cause an engine to run lumpy I just can't get my head round why you assumed it was the dizzy unless there's something else what made you think it was that what you've missed telling us?
« Last Edit: 13 February 2017, 22:28 by Brighouse-gti »