Author Topic: Cabin filter change  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Cabin filter change
« on: 26 February 2021, 22:41 »
Have my car booked in for it's year two service at the end of March and I was told this would also include the cabin filter.

When I had my Mk5 I was always offered the option of the 'standard' filter or an upgrade to the charcoal one (which I did).

I guess things have moved on and I'm hoping that the charcoal one is now the standard but does anybody have have experience of the cabin filter change and whether there is now an option for the newer type of bacterial filters (the Mann ones have a yellow colouring to them).
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
Re: Cabin filter change
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2021, 08:41 »
Yes there is that option for the GTI. Frecious Plus bio functional cabin filter by Mann. That’s what I use in mine. FP 26 009
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2021, 14:09 »
Yes I used the Mann ones in my Mk5. I really wanted to know if drivers on here were given a similar VW option at their second year dealer service.

Offline Phil245

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2021, 15:25 »
VW used to list what was included in a first and second service on their website, but they seemed to have removed this information ?  ( why does that make me even more suspicious?)

But I seem to remember they used words like "inspect air and pollen filter and replace as necessary"....

Now the cynic in me makes me wonder how many customers ever got a new filter...?
2019 Golf GTI 245 Performance, 2020 Skoda Karoq Sportline 2.0 TDI
Sadly sold, Octavia VRS245 Estate, Audi A3 1.5TFSI S Line Black Edition, Polo GTi 1.8, Audi TT Roadster, Golf Mk7 GTD etc.
Daughter has 2019 Polo 2.0GTi DSG. We love VAG !

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2021, 10:58 »
Yes I used the Mann ones in my Mk5. I really wanted to know if drivers on here were given a similar VW option at their second year dealer service.
If you are that worried just buy the filter and replace it yourself in 5 minutes. It’s highly unlikely VW will replace it with that specific filter.

Offline Ulysses31

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2021, 14:29 »
VW used to list what was included in a first and second service on their website, but they seemed to have removed this information ?  ( why does that make me even more suspicious?)

But I seem to remember they used words like "inspect air and pollen filter and replace as necessary"....

Now the cynic in me makes me wonder how many customers ever got a new filter...?

Agree. Everything on the list seems to followed by "if necessary". Replace filter, if necessary. Replace spark plugs, if necessary. Do some actual work, if necessary.
White Golf GTI Mk7.5

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2021, 14:44 »
Do these Mann filters help with hay fever? I still seem to suffer a little with the standard one. Also, the smell of any wood smoke, or the like, definitely gets through the standard one, which suggests tiny particles do pass through.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2021, 15:54 »
It's a pollen filter... Pollen is much bigger than smoke...

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/particle-sizes-d_934.html

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2021, 20:54 »
Just to say when I made my booking I was told that the service would definitely include oil, filter and cabin filter plus inspection.

Of course I could change it myself after the service but that's not really the point if I'm already paying for it to be changed, I've been told I'll get a phone call a few days before to discuss the service details so I'll ask then.

I just thought these type of filters might fit in the with the Air Care part of the A/C especially as Mann are one of the OE suppliers to VW for filters.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2021, 09:00 »
Just to say when I made my booking I was told that the service would definitely include oil, filter and cabin filter plus inspection.

Of course I could change it myself after the service but that's not really the point if I'm already paying for it to be changed, I've been told I'll get a phone call a few days before to discuss the service details so I'll ask then.

I just thought these type of filters might fit in the with the Air Care part of the A/C especially as Mann are one of the OE suppliers to VW for filters.
Id be very surprised if they fitted the filter you are after. They will fit the activated charcoal one at best.