Author Topic: MK7.5 GTI GPF Revo stage 1, has anyone had this done  (Read 5374 times)

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
Re: MK7.5 GTI GPF Revo stage 1, has anyone had this done
« Reply #20 on: 25 February 2021, 15:19 »
Doing 15-17k a year should be a big decision maker in the route you go.

I do 12-15k a year and investigated all the options last year. My conclusions was that whilst the REVO SP3 would be easiest due to plug &plug, it would still be better to a get a custom map that was specific for my car due to the stresses and types of journey I do.

I looked at REVO map installer/tuners, but all the numbers and suggestions were pretty similar and none seemed bothered about milage only 'max power'. DMS however were different and was my final decision, so if I still have the car when it falls out of warranty next year i'll be taking it there. They said they could do 320hp and 480nm, but they suggested 300hp and 450nm with a progressive (less 'spike', in my layman's terms) power banding for the remap so I would see good benefits but also remain in decent tolerances for my milage/use. They will also modify the DSG shift speed, paddle reaction speed, line pressure (clamp). They also map target RPM on downshifts for rev-matching etc

HTH :)

I've had the DMS engine and DSG maps for a while now, and they're perfect IMO. Progressive is the right word; it feels stock, it's linear in the power delivery and finds a really nice mix between instant shove, and almost diesel-like in-gear flexibility thanks to the torque.
The biggest difference I've noticed with the DSG map is the clamping force, with much less slipping than the stock map. The stock DSG map would ride the clutch at times and you could feel it doing it; the DMS DSG map doesn't, and combined with the torque of the engine map makes it really flexible and easy to live with.

And yet at the same time, it doesn't have move when you poke it!

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2021, 15:25 »
Really, really want to get this done, but I'm on finance (PCP). I'm 90% sure I'll be keeping the car at the end of the term, but I'm just not 100%, and that's what concerns me. If I were to get it done, and then traded the car in (at VW, which even if I do change the car is unlikely) what is the process for hand back? Would something like this show up?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2021, 15:54 »
Unlikely they'd spot it on hand back.

If you actually hand it back to VWFS it goes straight to auction after a visual inspection.

I'd really suggest never handing a PCP car back if you can help it though, there is almost always some equity.

More likely though on PCP you are still in warranty, in which case it *could* be picked up on a warranty claim and then VWFS will also get shirty with you.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2021, 17:28 »
Sorry, when I say hand back, I mean trade in (part ex, whatever)

I didn't get the car brand new - it's now 3 years old and I have a year left - no more warranty to worry about, unless I'm very much mistaken.

Car was registered October 2017, I got it in June 2018. Warranty therefore finished in October 2020 as I understand, and my deal ends June 2022

These cars _do_ have a 3 year warranty, right?

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2021, 18:20 »
I've part-exchanged remapped cars in the past and I've been honest about it, and never has the dealer complained.

But if you get the remap done by a reputable company, most of them will offer a service to revert back to stock if you need. It will still be detectable technically, but only with very close technical examination of the ECU software which is highly unlikely. More realistically is a test drive as part of the trade highlights the car feels very different, which prompts quesitons if you don't disclose it.

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 25 February 2021, 18:34 »
That's kind of what I expected, I thought you'd switch back to stock and they wouldn't dig deep enough to find it.

And the warranty? Mine is already up, right? 3 years from registration?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 25 February 2021, 18:40 »
It is technically possible for them to discover either ECU reflashes back to stock OR the use of plug in tuning boxes.

Whether they do depends on who is looking and they won't look unless you are claiming for something relevant and expensive...

Yes, 3 year VW warranty from day 1.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2021, 18:52 »
Ok, my warranty is up then. I thought so.

I already have a JB4 on my car, as it seems up in the air as to whether they can detect tuning boxes or not (I gather it's more from looking at engine logs, rather than a straight up yes or no flag), so I've already taken that part of the risk! Took it off when it went for a service and they never mentioned anything

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2021, 20:46 »
I'm never quite sure what a proper map gives you over the box? Something I presume but what is it?

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2021, 21:12 »
More power, but more importantly I think it gives you more low down. You have to really push on to the top of the rev range to get the most out of the box, I think. The map changes way more parameters