Author Topic: Are my heated screen wash nozzles working?  (Read 2101 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Are my heated screen wash nozzles working?
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2021, 20:33 »
I’ve never had heated washer jets but I’ve wondered about how worthwhile they are. It’s when we get ‘beast from the east’ sub-zero temperatures that you’d hope they’d prove their worth. However;
  • if the washer fluid isn’t at sufficiently strong enough concentration and it freezes in the tubing between the washer fluid reservoir and the washer jets, having heated jets would seem to be of little or no benefit.
  • if the washer fluid is at a strong enough concentration for winter use to prevent it freezing, then shouldn’t it be possible to activate the screen wash function through normal unheated washer jets, rendering the heated jets unnecessary?
Am I missing something in terms of the benefit(s) of having heated washer jets?
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2021, 06:40 »
They do have some benefit, mostly though it's that you keep or get the nozzle frost free when the bottle does have sufficient antifreeze in it but the alcohol has evaporated from the nozzle end. Doesn't help if it's frozen in the tank / tubing.

Don't overestimate their heating power. It's only a few Watts (and that is controlled by a PTC I'd guess). They won't get 'hot'.

Greetings from a place where the thermometer is currently showing -16.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2021, 06:48 by itavaltalainen »
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2021, 09:35 »
I've always bought screenwash made for fan-jets all through my MK5 ownership... either finding good deals on the VW stuff or the big 5 litres of Quantum (even they do two types for fan and non-fan types).

I now use the super concentrated stuff that dispenses 50mls at a time, usually any of the German brands are fan-jet compatible due their home market with some many cars requiring it.

One of those things that's once you've started using it and not had any issues why would you take a chance.... bit like the drivers who I've seen not using the correct VW (G xxx) compatible anti-freeze and just use the first thing they find down Halfords and then wonder why it causes problems long-term.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.