Author Topic: Golf GTI CS Edition 40 to CSS  (Read 2655 times)

Offline LewR1407

• Just got here
Re: Golf GTI CS Edition 40 to CSS
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2021, 13:13 »
Thank you Exonian, Paul70 & clubsport for your contributions - all extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Agreed with the stock CS suspension - lovely OEM comfortability, but yet seems to keep the vehicle much in check. Thank you Exonian for the information with regards to the DCC setup on the CSS. It makes sense to maintain the OEM springs and to just improve the chassis, brakes and upgrade tyres as per Paul70 & clubsport recommendations. I think a baffled sump wouldn't go amiss so as to prevent oil starvation on an occasional trackday.

Thanks again guys, I don't know when I'll crack on with the car, but will keep you posted as I dive into my first VW project!

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 13 February 2021, 16:57 »
with regards to the DCC setup on the CSS. It makes sense to maintain the OEM springs and to just improve the chassis, brakes and upgrade tyres as per Paul70 & clubsport recommendations. I think a baffled sump wouldn't go amiss so as to prevent oil starvation on an occasional trackday.

Thanks again guys, I don't know when I'll crack on with the car, but will keep you posted as I dive into my first VW project!

Well, there’s no tearing rush to crack on with the car with all else going on right now which gives you plenty of planning and research time.

It’s a shame the CSS is such a rare car that you’re unlikely to get a drive in one to see whether the specific suspension settings are actually what you desire for your own car. Plus the CSS set up will be weight adjusted for the stripped out rear quarters.

I come from a long background of modified Golfs so am quite wary of turning a refined but still really good handling hatch into something a bit too bumpy and willing to transmit jolts into the cabin, some might call that old age  :grin:

I can also vouch for the Michelin PS4S on the Ed40, they're an outstanding all rounder.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline azcs

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2021, 16:49 »
Hi Lew, had some very nice sounding cars mate. How did you find the likes of the ep3 and dc5 in comparison to your CS when on a blast. Thinking about a decent example of either to use as a bit of a project/weekend fun alongside my CS.

Hello all,

This is my first post as a new GTI owner so please go easy on me  :grin:

I purchased a 2016 GTI CS 40 privately at the beginning of November 2020 and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience since. I have a previous car history of a mk3 MX5, Z4 Coupe, EP3 Type R, Scirocco R, Subaru BRZ, Honda S2000, DC5 Integra Type R and an E92 M3. I am a big fan of Honda engineering and have a supercharged EP3 Type R for track fun.
Alluding to the above, I have developed a bad habit of not holding onto a vehicle for no more than 18 months, and so have wasted lots of money in the process, which brings me back onto the GTI. This is a car that I would like to keep for a while due to its infallible abilities and very sensible running costs.

The GTI CS Ed. 40 is currently sitting at 27000 miles with only having 1 owner since new. After only accumulating 1000 miles on the vehicle since purchase 3 months ago, I was hit with the dreaded water pump & thermostat failure 2 weeks ago. I was a bit aggrieved as to how a water pump can fail on a car with this mileage and following a bit of research on this forum (thank you all!), discovered that this is a very common problem. Worsening still, the leak may have been apparent upon purchase, so bit of a cock-up on my side for not doing proper homework.

Now repaired (highly recommend JKM Motors in Portsmouth - they did a fantastic job), I am now looking into upgrading the CS to as near a CSS spec as possible while keeping the back seats! My sincere apologies advance - I know this question has been asked many a time on this forum and a spreadsheet kindly posted up (which I have utilised for CSS differences and part numbers - thank you again guys!) I only ask if anyone has had any experience with the below.....

It is my understanding that all I need to do is install the following parts and get the geometry setup:

CSS hubs (2' camber)
TTS 8s Wheel Bearings, however, as I understand, current wheel bearings are fine to use
CSS Muffler
CSS Front Silencer (Part No: 5Q0 253 209 HF)
CSS Brake Discs
Alu. Subframe and associated hardware (washers + bolts)
Numerous hard rubber bushings front LCA & rear LCA
CSS Springs (my car does not have DCC)
Perhaps thicker anti roll bars front & rear

Does anyone recommend doing anything else or have I missed anything? The car that I have is a manual so with the front subframe disassembled for the alu spec, I would also upgrade the clutch as this is another weak point.

With being a bit isolated from VW due to my previous car choices, I never knew about the MQB platform and that so many parts across the VAG are interchangeable! I must admit, the chassis feels great in the GTI CS and so I would love to see what the car is capable of doing with a few minor alterations as above.

The CS is just a run around so I would like it to maintain the OEM ride that it currently provides. I would like to improve the chassis and brake setup first before thinking about a power/remap, but certainly interested in computing more life into that EA888. Noise restrictions on UK tracks are becoming an issue for the EP3 so I would be keen to test the limits of the GTI on a circuit with it being a much quieter setup.

Thank you in advance all - any views would be greatly appreciated! Also, thank you for being a great forum - the information available is superb and invaluable to new owners like myself!

Golf GTI Clubsport Edition 40

Offline LewR1407

• Just got here
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2021, 19:19 »
Hi Lew, had some very nice sounding cars mate. How did you find the likes of the ep3 and dc5 in comparison to your CS when on a blast. Thinking about a decent example of either to use as a bit of a project/weekend fun alongside my CS.

Hi arcs,

Thanks for your message! The older Honda’s are great fun and are so much more enthralling on a blast. Revving out the K20 engine fitted to the EP3 & DC5 up to over 8000rpm and continually being in the power band / VTEC zone is absolutely intoxicating. The older vtec engines remind me of a 2 stroke motocross bike. The gearboxes are superb also, with the ratios perfectly setup for useable fun in the UK.

But the EP3 & DC5 aren’t perfect though. The EP3 chassis as standard for instance, does feel a bit loose when pushed really hard and the UKDM EP3 does not come with an LSD as standard, while the DC5 does. Both share exactly the same chassis, however, I’m pretty sure that the DC5 has a wider track, which provides better handling. I didn’t notice too much difference between either of them in that respect.

The DC5 has a better engine than the EP3 (DC5 = K20A1 (lighter pistons and racier cams etc) EP3 = K20A2) that pushes out 220hp compared to 200hp in the EP3. However, the K20A2 in the EP3 has an improved torque figure more suited for UK roads so a light trade off for less power compared to the DC5. Between a stock EP3 and a stock DC5, you can feel that the DC5 is a lot sportier from engine and gearbox alone. The DC5 also has a shorter ratio between 3rd and 4th, which you instantly notice when out for a blast.

Overall the DC5 is the better car, but the EP3 can be had for so much cheaper and with only a few mods like an LSD, proper sorted suspension and bushes and good tyres makes for a very good fast handling machine. The DC5 looks a lot nicer, but again, the EP3 is a lot cheaper. Specific DC5 parts like body panels etc. are a lot more difficult to get hold of now as the car is a JDM only. EP3 parts are still readily available as made in the UK. Both incredibly and unbelievably reliable if looked after well - regular oil checking and oil servicing at least every 5000 miles is a must.

It all boils down to personal opinion and what you want (we’re all different!!) - if you’re into revving out an engine with a snappy precise gearbox that requires full concentration when on the limit and is very ‘racey’ when in the power band, the older Honda’s are for you. If you’re more into turbocharged engines, you’ll find the lack of torque when out of the VTEC zone annoying. Both DC5s and EP3 are still very fast though - just don’t expect a surge of power when in 4th sitting at 2000 rpm on motorway - the cars aren’t setup for that.

The GTI CS looks good, handles very well as standard, is fast but revving out the EA888 doesn’t entertain as much as the K20 in the DC5 & EP3. The GTI CS is a lovely place to be in all of the time and does ‘everything’ very competently - great all rounder car.

If I were you, I’d pick up a well sorted EP3 and turn it into a supercharged track machine!

Do some research and see what you think. Finding either a good DC5 or an EP3 is getting more and more difficult and prices are starting to rise. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Ps. I still love the Golf GTI CS though !!

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2021, 12:30 »
welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing this done. My ED40 had DCC, i ended up putting KW V3's on mine, feel great. still think i can improve on some things though/set up's, what with this covid tho it's pretty much been parked up and no where to go  :cry:

if can, throw some pics up, be good to see
Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew