Author Topic: GTI edition 40 in the snow.  (Read 2755 times)

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
GTI edition 40 in the snow.
« on: 08 February 2021, 11:14 »
So we finally had some snow where I live in N.E. Lincolnshire so I thought I'd better see what these Michelin Crossclimate+ tyres could do. Suffice to say I got to places no summer tyre equipped GTI would have a hope of. Yes they spin a bit if you give it too much throttle but that's to be expected. Got some strange looks from the 4x4 drivers on the snow covered country lanes...  :cool:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTI edition 40 in the snow.
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2021, 11:16 »
Bold man!

But good test  :cool:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2021, 11:23 »
I have Michelin Super Sport 4s on mine and they aren't too bad on the A roads, but in the town on the way to work my rear end started twitching and I don't mean the cars rear end either!!! Simply braking at 5-10mph pushes me towards the curbs and any inclines and I have no chance!!! Oh how I wish I had a non-electric handbrake haha! I too am in Lincolnshire. One thing I have noticed is that since it last snowed I have put spacers on the car and it seems to step out from the rear a tiny bit if you turn hard enough  :grin:
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2021, 11:51 »
So we finally had some snow where I live in N.E. Lincolnshire so I thought I'd better see what these Michelin Crossclimate+ tyres could do. Suffice to say I got to places no summer tyre equipped GTI would have a hope of. Yes they spin a bit if you give it too much throttle but that's to be expected. Got some strange looks from the 4x4 drivers on the snow covered country lanes...  :cool:

Are the Cross Climates just for winter use, or do you intend to stick with them?
7.5 GTD

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2021, 12:03 »
Are the Cross Climates just for winter use, or do you intend to stick with them?

Although you can run them all year round, I have a set of Brescia's fitted with PS4S's for the summer...
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #5 on: 08 February 2021, 12:05 »
Bold man!

But good test  :cool:

All in the name of science Fred...  :wink:

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 February 2021, 12:29 »
Love the photo! First snow pic I’ve seen featuring a Golf and not seen any actual snow myself for nigh on three years now.
Glad to hear the tyre test was a success too!
I wonder if doing a slight zig zag would help the VAQ distribute torque side to side if traction became an issue. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2021, 12:48 »
I wonder if doing a slight zig zag would help the VAQ distribute torque side to side if traction became an issue.

I think the diff was working overtime each time I set off or accelerated. It's kind of like having half a 4WD, just the front half obviously. Works well though, given the right tyres of course.

Offline baka

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2021, 15:42 »
Having moved out of town for the first time in my life. I got to drive on ungritted roads, and displayed a remarkable lack of talent by ploughing straight over a roundabout. Luckily I just scuffed a wheel.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2021, 15:50 »
I shouldn’t laugh but that was funny baka!  :grin:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner