Author Topic: Selling my car and Covid  (Read 2967 times)

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
Re: Selling my car and Covid
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2021, 11:44 »
I'll say something positive though, that colour is lovely. Definitely my favourite mini colour.

Just don't ask me to drive it  :laugh:

Deal 🤝
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2021, 11:56 »
I'll say something positive though, that colour is lovely. Definitely my favourite mini colour.

Just don't ask me to drive it  :laugh:

Deal 🤝

I'm pleased with the outcome  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline boardlord

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2021, 13:21 »
Same boat here, want to sell but covid stopping me advertising ours privately, had a chat and an offer from Volkswizard this week, but fell a few hundred short of the minimum we're happy to take. Motorway come up a lot on forums and have offered what were happy to take......, as ive sold to sell a car before, which was ermmm OK I guess, usual knock you down tactics after an initial high offer, i'm wary of motorway doing the same as their offer is the minimum we'd take.... even declaring any marks.
Our car is on forecourts for £24k+ at independants and £25k+ at main dealers,as it's just under 2 years old and only requiring £200-£300 of remedial work I don't think £21.5k is unreasonable.
Perhaps i'm too optimistic  :smug:
2019 MK7.5 GTi PP, 3dr, DSG, Indium Grey, Heated screen, Pan roof, 90% tints.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 06 February 2021, 14:14 »
I sold mine directly back to Listers group via a link on their website that put me in touch with their group buyer I did it this way as I have not bought another VW this time. A pre Covid change of policy at work means I lose my company vehicle in October this year so my normal budget (probably plus a little bit 🙄) will be spent on two cars. I can’t face the thought of only having a mile munching barge for commuting so bought a smaller “weekend” car with all the kit to satisfy my gadget fetish and the rest will go on a small diesel something nearer the time.
I dealt directly with the group buyer. All that was needed was a few few photos and he spoke to the salesman I normally use who vouched for the condition he knew my car was in and the offers came in. I probably found a sweet spot timing wise as I sold just after the first lockdown last year and they hadn’t got a vast amount of used stock so got more than I would have as a trade in. I didn’t even have to take it in as they arranged to pick it up from home.

Bought this 😁 I know haters are going to hate but so far I am loving it. I don’t need it as a daily so, so far so good 👍

What a cool Mini  :cool:
Love it!

Ignore everything that Fred says, Minis rock!

Admittedly if I spent thousands of hours driving for business I’d want a boring old Golf too but nothing comes close to a Mini for character, quality and fun.
I hit a badger in mine doing nearly 60 and nothing broke except a bit of bumper trim (£50) and a slight bend in the bumper plastic if you really stare at it. Had it been in my Golf it would have obliterated the bumper and possibly radiator too. Hefty old lump that thing was. Dived right out of a hedge in front of me.

Back on track, I got a price from Motorway for my BMW.
The VW dealer gave me £250 more without a second glance.
I’d try them again though, I’m sure different days will produce different results depending on demand and lockdowns and microprocessor shortages and all sorts of other market conditions.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2021, 14:18 »
A main dealer is probably going to want 15 to 20% mark up on what they pay for a car. 16.6666% of their 'profit' will go straight to the tax man.
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2021, 17:01 »
A main dealer is probably going to want 15 to 20% mark up on what they pay for a car. 16.6666% of their 'profit' will go straight to the tax man.

^^^^this
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Spittfire

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2021, 22:50 »
I sold my BM on Autotrader a few weeks back. The buyer drove down I took him on a drive and he loved it. He left a deposit there and then then picked it up a week later for £20,000. The alternative was a £17000 offer from VW or a £19000 offer from Motorway.
2014 GTD DSG Carbon Grey (Stolen)
2018 GTI PP DSG Isaac Blue, Brescias (Sold)
2020 GTI TCR Pure Grey (Sold)
2018 GTD DSG Indium Grey (Current)

Ex: Clio Williams2, GTI MkIII, GTI MkIV, Audi TT, GTD MkV, A3 S-Line, GTD Mk6, GTD Mk7, Evoque, GTI PP, BMW 320 Touring

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2021, 22:58 »
I'd not confess to that... You never know who's reading

Offline Gulfstream11

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2021, 09:14 »
Morning all.

I stuck the details into Motorway. Quite painless and an instant quote,1k more than the dealer but still quite short of what I'm looking for. I missed a call from the dealer yesterday afternoon,probably an increase of his offer but he never rang back. ( the TCR is 28k+)
I'm not in a rush so will wait for Boris and try the private route.Sold my ED30 private and it went ok,first to see bought it. I fully understand the dealer has to profit but reckoned (naively) he'd be sweeter considering the price of the car I'm interested in. Thank you all for the replies.

Previous rides..MKIV 1.8T   MKIV PD150  MK5 GTI MK5 edition30 now MK7 GTI PP

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2021, 10:01 »
I suspect you've hit the limit of what trade is prepared to pay. They are in business after all.

Is the tcr you are looking at new?