Author Topic: Tips and tricks for the MK7.5  (Read 9912 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Tips and tricks for the MK7.5
« Reply #20 on: 05 February 2021, 12:10 »
Only reservation is that it uses the brakes a lot more than I would. The flashing brake lights must irritate some following drivers, but at least it’s a reminder to them about what’s going on.

It throttles back before resorting to the brakes, just like you probably do. Air resistance is capable of dropping your speed for minor adjustments and when approaching slighlty slower traffic it starts to slow a long time before it gets to the set distance. Which is ok for normal driving, its only when it meets something doing thirty and you are bowling along at seventy and either cannot overtake or can't be ars3d that it will actually brake...or you come across a jam doing 5mph.

Its pretty clever...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 05 February 2021, 12:31 »
Hmm, not the feeling I get from the car Fred. I hope you’re right, but you do see a lot of flashing brake lights in these situations. Not too easy to check.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #22 on: 05 February 2021, 12:41 »
Obviously it depends on what the car in front is doing.... if you are at the set distance behind them and they take their foot off of the gas or drive up a hill and don't accelerate up it, your car will need to take braking action.

It will only deceralate approaching something slower, once you hit the spacing distance it will definitely brake if the one in front slows.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 05 February 2021, 13:19 »
and as you approach a slower moving vehicle if you indicate to pull out and the car senses you are changing lane it won't throttle back... very clever indeed.
TCR 3 door

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 05 February 2021, 13:33 »
Obviously it depends on what the car in front is doing.... if you are at the set distance behind them and they take their foot off of the gas or drive up a hill and don't accelerate up it, your car will need to take braking action.

It will only deceralate approaching something slower, once you hit the spacing distance it will definitely brake if the one in front slows.

Yes, agree with that, but it is possible to anticipate a lot of the “lack of anticipation” of others, which I always try to do. ACC needs a degree of AI!
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 05 February 2021, 13:47 »
and as you approach a slower moving vehicle if you indicate to pull out and the car senses you are changing lane it won't throttle back... very clever indeed.

Yes, I want to say that feature was from the improved ACC on the Mk7.5 (along with anti-undertaking) vs the Mk7.

On the Mk8 it goes even further using the lane assist sensors to detect traffic to the rear and offside as well...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 05 February 2021, 16:15 »
Setup we connect, good easy feature available on an app for your phone

I have we connect.
What exactly does it do? Seems very boring to me. I’m obviously missing something/lots
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 05 February 2021, 16:23 »

Yes, I want to say that feature was from the improved ACC on the Mk7.5 (along with anti-undertaking) vs the Mk7.

On the Mk8 it goes even further using the lane assist sensors to detect traffic to the rear and offside as well...

I use all the time and find it very smooth, it does detect offside traffic on motorway and will prevent undertaking unless you need to and put a bit of throttle down.  Not sure detecting traffic behind helps a great deal, if someone is going to rear end you not much you can do lol, going to happen no matter what!

I like the jam feature when stuck in traffic, braking and moving off for you.  If stopped for longer than about 2 seconds it requires a slight input on the throttle to start moving off again, this is a safety feature.  I like that you can engage the ACC while sat at traffic light and adjust the speed it will go to, just tap throttle and away it goes.  With emergency braking as well it has saved me a couple of times as it's reaction was quicker then mine.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 05 February 2021, 16:28 »

I have we connect.
What exactly does it do? Seems very boring to me. I’m obviously missing something/lots

Can flash lights, sound horn, unlock and lock the car.  Gives all your drive stats history, books your servicing, lets you know if boot, bonnet or window are open.  Will also tell you if someone breaks in to your car!  It's free and worth just 5 mins setting up even if you don't use most of the time just for the fact that you'll know if you are parked shopping (If we are allowed to soon lol) and some one tries their luck, you can rush back!

To use the unlocking service you need to prove your ID by hitting the button you do a video call with someone and they take over your phones camera to take pic of driving licence and once verified they will unlock the app properly.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline dobb3r

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 05 February 2021, 17:24 »

I have we connect.

Can flash lights, sound horn, unlock and lock the car.  Gives all your drive stats history, books your servicing, lets you know if boot, bonnet or window are open.  Will also tell you if someone breaks in to your car!  It's free and worth just 5 mins setting up even if you don't use most of the time just for the fact that you'll know if you are parked shopping (If we are allowed to soon lol) and some one tries their luck, you can rush back!

To use the unlocking service you need to prove your ID by hitting the button you do a video call with someone and they take over your phones camera to take pic of driving licence and once verified they will unlock the app properly.

Now, i thought the same as exonian, now having read your reply i feel I'm missing something here. Ive just started the app, it shows my car but it says im a guest user. I am the second owner, i wonder if its still registered at vw under the original owner?
I also dont have access to any features, it just shows my car.

Update as i was typing, what i said above is right, i clicked a bit more and its registered to the previous owner, i now need to input a code on the infotainment system, once done vw will also email the previous owner to make sure this is correct.

Ill do it tomorrow, ill keep you posted.
2019 White TCR, 5 door, DCC.