Author Topic: Protecting your seats  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
Protecting your seats
« on: 31 January 2021, 22:47 »
I'm after any real world recommendations from owners who have used a protective spray on their seats.

Any brands apart from the obvious 3M, how much did you need to cover front and back seats?

I want the try and put some thing on my seats as I seem to getting small water spots on the seat pads nearest the door which I think are just rain water or snow that's dripped down when the door's been opened (thought if it was water it would just have evaporated away).

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Protecting your seats
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2021, 00:04 »
Gtechniq do interior stuff. I've got it on mine and any water just sits on the top and doesn't soak in.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2021, 07:51 »
Do you know if that is solvent based?

I suspect many of these products are very much the same but you are paying for certain names although I'm happy to pay for a better product.

I'm thinking that the water based products might be the same as those I use to waterproof my down jackets?

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2021, 08:26 »
I have the Gtechniq stuff on my seats as well, but you have top them up every 6 months it's not a spray on once job, but it does work very effectively. 1L is sufficient.

Top Tip - Remove the seats from the car and spray them, otherwise you'll get an awful chemical smell in the car.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2021, 12:56 »
Is there an advantage of the Gtechniq stuff over, say, Scotchgard? 

The Gtechniq spray is quite expensive just for a 250ml bottle (£15) compared to a 500ml spray of Scotchgard (under a £10).

I don't paying for the good stuff but how far would a 250ml bottle go? Both front seats?

EDIT - looks like this stuff was given the top spot in a recent test - Dodo Juice Supernatural Fabric Sealant (500ml for £13).

« Last Edit: 01 February 2021, 13:19 by Rudedog »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2021, 15:06 »
I have the Gtechniq stuff on my seats as well, but you have top them up every 6 months it's not a spray on once job, but it does work very effectively. 1L is sufficient.

Top Tip - Remove the seats from the car and spray them, otherwise you'll get an awful chemical smell in the car.
I've never topped it up on any of the cars I've had it on and spillages still sit on the top surface. Had my last GTi three and half years aswell.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2021, 21:34 »

I've never topped it up on any of the cars I've had it on and spillages still sit on the top surface. Had my last GTi three and half years aswell.

Strange I had to top mine up after 6 months, it could be they've improved the formula since I've last used it.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2021, 23:31 »

Strange I had to top mine up after 6 months, it could be they've improved the formula since I've last used it.
actually thinking about it I always went back to the detailer at about 12 months to have him check the coating etc so maybe he did the seats again for me. Gtechniq site says it's supposed to last about 12 months.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2021, 10:09 »
Cheapest I've ever seen it
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014HIXO9E
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2021, 10:12 »
Cheapest I've ever seen it
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014HIXO9E
definitely, fantastic spot JV 👍