Author Topic: Possible Start button failure  (Read 4480 times)

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
Re: Possible Start button failure
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2021, 16:23 »
It’s nothing seasonal, i have had the car 4 years and no previous issues. It started playing up about 2 months ago, then seemed to be ok, but the problem is now back again. 

As Fred suggested I may try and pop it out and replace it myself. I assume it’s switch unit with a couple of plastic connectors on the unit.

cheers

Dave

Offline too hot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 20 January 2021, 10:53 »
I had the same problem with my 64 plate GTI .Sold the car and solved the problem 😂😂
6R

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2021, 18:23 »
Yeah, I had that, found that I had to hit the button a few times to start or stop, when I took it in they couldnt find the fault, luckily as I was just about to leave it didn’t work, and a sales guy was near me, he saw the problem and went and got the mechanic,

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2021, 13:26 »
Note to self-don’t by any cars owned by ‘too hot’

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2021, 13:33 »
‘Buy’

Offline onlychengy

• Just got here
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2021, 14:44 »
I am having a problem in starting my 2016 GTD (DSG) and was wondering if anyone else has had the issue.  I have searched in previous posts, but nothing seems to appear.    I press the start button, with foot on the brake pedal and nothing happens - no lights on the console, nothing.  Press again and same again, nothing.
After 4 or 5 presses, the lights come on the console and it starts perfectly.  The issue is very intermittent as sometimes it starts in the first press on the start button.   I suspect it may be the switch underneath the button, and only making contact sometimes, but not sure. 

Regards,

Dave,

Hi Dave, did you manage to sort in the end? Ours had the same issue and it was the contacts which needed cleaning.

Prob takes 10-20 mins to sort using below tutorial for cleaning contacts and video removing the start/stop button:

https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-when-push-to-start-button-acts-up.430031/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAuEnrJX6I&t=185s

Cheers

Chengy

Offline golfDB

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2023, 07:55 »
Apologies, especially to Onlychengy, for not replying to this thread earlier.   The button problem cleared up, but has just recently started playing up again. Took it to my VW indy garage who stays in needs a new start/stop button so they have ordered one, snag is they say there is a problem getting one as they are made,  they believe in Ukraine, so supply is a problem. 

Dave,

Offline symonh2000

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 17 November 2023, 09:15 »
Our GTI seems to have a dodgy start button as well. It usually starts fine first press, but takes three of 4 presses to turn the engine off. It does seem to stop ok if the button is held for a few seconds.

I don't see what was wrong with an old fashioned ignition key personally.
Golf GTI 7 PP
BMW M140i

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 17 November 2023, 09:45 »
Our GTI seems to have a dodgy start button as well. It usually starts fine first press, but takes three of 4 presses to turn the engine off. It does seem to stop ok if the button is held for a few seconds.

Agree. My car has keyless entry / keyless start as part of the standard spec, but I’d never have paid extra for it.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2023, 12:18 »

Keyless Entry / Start - Stop was more likely in place for people that keep their keys in bags. As I don't know why anyone would want to sit with a bunch of keys in their pocket poking them.

Out of curiosity did the 3 doors gets anything in lieu of the keyless entry getting removed from its spec?
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/