Author Topic: Possible Start button failure  (Read 4483 times)

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
Possible Start button failure
« on: 18 January 2021, 20:06 »
I am having a problem in starting my 2016 GTD (DSG) and was wondering if anyone else has had the issue.  I have searched in previous posts, but nothing seems to appear.    I press the start button, with foot on the brake pedal and nothing happens - no lights on the console, nothing.  Press again and same again, nothing.
After 4 or 5 presses, the lights come on the console and it starts perfectly.  The issue is very intermittent as sometimes it starts in the first press on the start button.   I suspect it may be the switch underneath the button, and only making contact sometimes, but not sure. 

Regards,

Dave,

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: Possible Start button failure
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2021, 21:02 »
Probably glow plugs... are you turning the ignition off between attempts?
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2021, 22:03 »
Hi, the ignition never comes on between failed attempts.  It’s  keyless  car.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2021, 06:13 »
It does seem to happen that the button fails, I am fairly sure I read a post on here a couple days ago where someone faced the same issues and thought there were other issues with their car.

The button failed and they could not get the ignition on either.
If you try with one firm press does it not react perhaps? The contacts within the switch could be a little worn out.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2021, 09:49 »
A friend of mine incidentally called Dave and with a gtd had to replace the starter button on his. Was an intermittent fault from what I can remember as the dealer couldn't find anything wrong. He bought the replacement button and it sorted it.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Al1040

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2021, 10:19 »
+1 for the button, if it was the glow plugs, the dash would light up and the glow plug symbol would stay lit
67 Plate Mk 7.5 GTD DSG

Offline dervdave

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2021, 10:35 »
Yeah its the button, mine went on my 16 plate GTD and replaced luckily within warranty
2016 GTD

Offline golfberg

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2021, 12:31 »
Thanks  to all for the replies.  I tried it this morning but it started first time and i could not make it fail, but when i pressed it to stop the engine on the last time, it would not stop the engine. It took 4 or 5 presses for the engine to stop.  I think it sounds like a dodgey button.

cheers

Dave,

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2021, 14:20 »
You can probably fix that yourself if you want to try.... replacing that button isn't massively difficult.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2021, 15:06 »
The start button on my A4 TDI puts the electrics on first time but half the time it doesn't start the engine and a second press is required (but never more than the second press). I assume that in my case, the glow plugs need to warm up for a cold start.

If you are needing to press 3+ times, either your button is iffy or there's something going on with the glow plugs (but you have a warning light for that), so probably the switch.

Definitely nothing seasonal going on is there - like this happens every Winter but not in the Summer?
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.