Author Topic: GTI 7.5 19" alloy recommendations  (Read 10717 times)

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
Re: GTI 7.5 19" alloy recommendations
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2020, 11:20 »
Do CM wheels have any sort of approval? Only asking because I'll be looking for wheels after winter. :whistle:

Send them the question, I doubt they can sell wheels without an approval of CE or such

MK7 GTi

Offline Aparat

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2020, 15:10 »
What sort of approval are you looking for?  :undecided:
@SRGTD is on point. I forgot to mention safety.
By the way those Borbets looks good just like BBS SR I'm looking at  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 22 December 2020, 15:15 by Aparat »

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2020, 15:43 »
With some valuable help from "SRGTD" I recently fitted my car with four new wheels. Bought from Tyreleader.co.uk, TUV and ECE approvals and manufactured by Rial (Germany). The set delivered were £450 so really no point in compromising and going second hand for what is a key safety part of the car. If you want something flashier then you can spend £800 or more, but I am very happy with the end result.

2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline clive

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2020, 16:20 »
With some valuable help from "SRGTD" I recently fitted my car with four new wheels. Bought from Tyreleader.co.uk, TUV and ECE approvals and manufactured by Rial (Germany). The set delivered were £450 so really no point in compromising and going second hand for what is a key safety part of the car. If you want something flashier then you can spend £800 or more, but I am very happy with the end result.

Nice, any pics fitted?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 22 December 2020, 16:30 »

Interestingly, Tyreleader’s website currently doesn’t have a ‘wheels’ section, so they’ve either stopped selling alloys, or they may have decided to stop taking any more customer orders for wheels until the outcome of the Brexit negotiations are known.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 22 December 2020, 17:08 »
"Interestingly, Tyreleader’s website currently doesn’t have a ‘wheels’ section, so they’ve either stopped selling alloys, or they may have decided to stop taking any more customer orders for wheels until the outcome of the Brexit negotiations are known."

Well, just done a little bit of searching and the French equivalent website for Tyreleaders (which has the same configurator etc as Tyreleaders.co.uk) will sell you some wheels if you live in France.

https://www.centralepneus.fr/

So I guess they have given up on the UK either because of the current port disruption, Brexit or both. Perhaps they have UK stocks of tyres which I imagine sell in greater numbers than wheels.
2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 22 December 2020, 19:25 »

Those look excellent 👍
7.5 GTD

Offline GTIGeordie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 22 December 2020, 22:42 »

Good point, for £450 new, it wouldn't be worth going for used. I think I'll look for some Pretoria style 18's, then springs/spacers next!

Offline darrent

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 23 December 2020, 09:12 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=286825.30
More than happy with my 18" Borbet Y's

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 26 December 2020, 17:12 »
I’m assuming @Aparat is asking whether or not the alloys sold by CMWheels have been safety certified (TUV, ABE, JWL or equivalent).

@Aparat; in answer to your question, I don’t know, but hopefully someone who has bought wheels from CMWheels can answer your question as;
  • the wheels should be stamped with the appropriate safety certification mark on the reverse of the spokes if they’ve been tested and passed the tests and
  • they should have been provided with a copy of the certificate when they bought the wheels
[/

I have a set of CM 18” Reifnitz satin  gunmetal  wheels I bought six months ago but have not yet fitted.I did not get any certificate with them and I don’t think there is a quality assurance mark on the back. I will check for the mark in the next week or so and if there are any on the rear I’ll provide a photo.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2020, 18:08 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.