Author Topic: Servicing ?  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
Re: Servicing ?
« Reply #10 on: 04 January 2021, 07:06 »
At that kind of annual mileage the DSG oil and VAQ fluid will need changing well before the three years at which the VW service schedule should, but may not..., flag them as necessary.  I guess that to manage 45k miles a year it must be mostly motorway driving so if you use ACC a lot get used to frequent rear brake disk changes as well.
TCR 3 door

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 04 January 2021, 09:19 »
Yes, good point - watch out for the VAQ oil change - its not part of the service regime but absolutely is critical.

Normally 3 years is the time when you do it, but whether mileage makes any difference has never been discussed. I would have thought it should come into it, but its never been mentioned.

I have always thought though that these long life serice regimes for business users are a bit iffy. A lot can go wrong in 20k - more than just an oil change.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 04 January 2021, 13:38 »
At that kind of annual mileage the DSG oil and VAQ fluid will need changing well before the three years at which the VW service schedule should, but may not..., flag them as necessary.  I guess that to manage 45k miles a year it must be mostly motorway driving so if you use ACC a lot get used to frequent rear brake disk changes as well.

Does the ACC just operate the rear brakes when it needs to reduce speed?
2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 04 January 2021, 13:58 »

It comes off the throttle, if you have DSG it changes down too.... but it can only apply 25% of the maximum braking force, which suggests it probably is the rears. That figure is from the workshop tutorial btw.

On the other hand, I use ACC a lot over a lot of distance and I've never had excessively worn rear disks vs the fronts.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline colsay

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 04 January 2021, 15:35 »

It comes off the throttle, if you have DSG it changes down too.... but it can only apply 25% of the maximum braking force, which suggests it probably is the rears. That figure is from the workshop tutorial btw.

On the other hand, I use ACC a lot over a lot of distance and I've never had excessively worn rear disks vs the fronts.

Thx for the info, much appreciated.
2019 7.5 P/P DSG

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 04 January 2021, 21:44 »
I took advantage of the recent Black Friday deal on the service plans which will be a new way of doing things for me in all of my 30 years of VW ownership, can you guys tell me if I'll still receive a parts invoice each time so I can keep a tab of what has actually been changed?

I bought my car outright so will be changing it to yearly servicing in March when it hits it's second year (I asked for car to have it's year one service before I bought it last August).

Interesting that the car count downs to each service apart from it seems the DSG and maybe the brake fluid, or does it?
2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 04 January 2021, 21:56 »
You get the invoice just not with pounds notes against each item.

The variable service is more than time and distance, it's calculated by all sorts of driving data and an oil condition sensor. That gives you an idea of when it needs to visit a garage and the inspection part of the service checks over all of the various components at different intervals. It's quite well thought out, except for the vaq diff lol

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 January 2021, 22:02 »
I took advantage of the recent Black Friday deal on the service plans which will be a new way of doing things for me in all of my 30 years of VW ownership, can you guys tell me if I'll still receive a parts invoice each time so I can keep a tab of what has actually been changed?

I bought my car outright so will be changing it to yearly servicing in March when it hits it's second year (I asked for car to have it's year one service before I bought it last August).

Interesting that the car count downs to each service apart from it seems the DSG and maybe the brake fluid, or does it?

The service invoices I received for my previous car that was serviced under VW’s service plan didn’t list the consumable items - it merely stated that the service had been carried out. I don’t know if that’s the standard approach used by all VW dealers or if some dealers do itemise all parts / consumables that are used or replaced during the service. Before I bought VW service plans, my dealer certainly used to provide me with a fully itemised invoice for each service. I may ask them for an itemised invoice next time, even though I have a service plan.

None of my previous four VW’s have displayed a ‘brake fluid change due’ message, although the dealer has always reminded me when it’s due. I’m assuming there’s no reminder message for the DSG service either.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 04 January 2021, 22:27 »
That's what I was afraid of and an indication to the dumbing down of ownership especially for the long-term private owner, of course once we are all running EVs then the amount of servicing consumables will be even less, maybe they are gearing us up for that?

Anyhow, without a parts invoice I have no real way of knowing, for instance, that I've received an anti-allergen cabin filter over the carbon one when the time comes (?year two service).

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 04 January 2021, 22:50 »
It was on my paperwork each time I used the service pack... I always got the same paperwork from the dealer with my mk7 too and that was leased.

Seriously, just ask if they don't offer.

They have to produce that for vw uk to reimburse them.