Author Topic: Anyone wanting to disable keyless opening  (Read 19204 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Anyone wanting to disable keyless opening
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2018, 17:56 »
Thanks, I've got vcds so will have a hunt around, cheers 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #21 on: 29 January 2019, 15:14 »
Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd post here.
I'm interested in disabling keyless opening of my doors, but keeping the push button start ( considering I don't actually have a key hole, this is probably essential :grin: )
Before I dive in and purchase OBDeleven or whatever it's called, is anybody in or near the Salford area who could do this for me ?
I can't think of anything else on the car that I want to change so it seems a bit of a waste to buy it just for one thing.
I think you also need an android device to use it, which I don't have.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2019, 15:16 by kalimon »
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 29 January 2019, 15:18 »
I'm interested in disabling keyless opening of my doors, but keeping the push button start ( considering I don't actually have a key hole, this is probably essential :grin: )
I'm not sure if this works on the 7 as it does the 7.5, but lock the car with your fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #23 on: 29 January 2019, 15:26 »
I'm not sure if this works on the 7 as it does the 7.5, but lock the car with your fob, then within 5 seconds press the keyless button/sensor on the door handle. That switches off the keyless-entry system until the next time you unlock the car with the fob. Perfect for when leaving the car overnight or if in a particularly vulnerable place.
Thanks for the heads up :smiley:
I really want is disabling permanently if possible though. I think the benefits it brings are outweighed by the security risks.
I have a Disklock and a faraday pouch but I know from experience that they ( faraday pouch ) fail to work over time.
I only really use the Disklock when I'm leaving the car parked overnight or for any lengthy period of time in a dodgy place.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 29 January 2019, 16:05 »
I've had the same Faraday pouch for over two years now and it still works fine. What exactly can go wrong with them? Open pouch, place keys in, open pouch and remove keys. Never understood why people say they just stop working 🤷‍♂️

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #25 on: 29 January 2019, 16:15 »
I've had the same Faraday pouch for over two years now and it still works fine. What exactly can go wrong with them? Open pouch, place keys in, open pouch and remove keys. Never understood why people say they just stop working 🤷‍♂️
You'd think so wouldn't you?
I unlocked my car a few months ago then quickly realised that the key was tucked away securely in my faraday pouch!
I double checked that the keys where in the proper part of the pouch and I was still able to unlock the door and start the ignition!
Not sure how or why it happens, but be aware, they can and do stop working.
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 29 January 2019, 16:36 »
I do check regularly and even with the pouch right up against the door handle it still doesn't unlock.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #27 on: 29 January 2019, 18:21 »
I may well have been unlucky but it sounds like I'm not the only one.
I just think that long term, disabling it is the way to go.
If I have to bite the bullet and invest in OBD11, so be it :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
« Reply #28 on: 29 January 2019, 19:35 »
I've got Obdeleven and an android phone and I live south of Manchester if you want a hand Kalimon. Feel free to send me a private message with your details. Andy
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #29 on: 29 January 2019, 20:02 »
I've got Obdeleven and an android phone and I live south of Manchester if you want a hand Kalimon. Feel free to send me a private message with your details. Andy
Cheers Andy.
I'll figure out a weekend when I'm not running round like a lunatic with the kids and sort something out :smiley:
Great name by the way, but I would say that :grin:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP