Author Topic: 1st time clay use, well impressed  (Read 4265 times)

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
1st time clay use, well impressed
« on: 16 March 2010, 17:24 »
Hi all,
Today me and a friend set about cleaning his VW Transporter T4.  I can't explain how bad it looked, he won't mind me saying this, but the bodywork has been neglected BIG time. The van is white, but the paint was so flat, there was no shine anywhere.
We cleaned the van using the two bucket method, this was the first time he had used the two bucket method, he was very impressed.
We then dried the van, and then clayed.
Well I am very very impressed with the results, We were amazed at how smooth the surfaces became.  I think deep down I did not believe it would get his van as smooth as it did.  I don't think another going over would of done it any harm either.  But it was very smooth.  Like already mentioned this was the first time either of us had used clay.
I now can't wait to get cracking with clay on my golf.  We used the Megs smooth clay kit.
After claying we used AG Paint Renovator, this also worked very well and got rid of a lot of scratches and marks.  Sadly I had to leave him to it, as I had to pick my son up from school, Damn pesky kids!! lol
When he is finished I will put up the pics.
I can't recommend clay enough to anybody who has not used it.  If you have not you should.
The only downside is, this detailing bug is taking over my life!!!!  If I am not doing my car, I am doing my wifes, then I am doing my friends van, next week I am helping another friend do his car, or should I say I will be doing his car!!  I can't get enough, my wife thinks I am obsessed and a nerd/geek, because of the amount of time i spend researching detailing products. lol  :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
Re: 1st time clay use, well impressed
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2010, 17:36 »
Ive never clayed my car as its super smooth as it is ... I bought it in mint condition and always stayed on top of the cleaning, but Im gonna see what the fuss is all about with the clay bar on my dads motor some time this summer.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2010, 17:53 »
glad you found your first claying experience a good one chap :wink: its well worth the extra effort and also helps decontaminate the surface ready for the polishing stage which in turn sets you up well for the sealant and wax stage :smiley: as ive said in previous threads its all about the prep :wink:

dont worry your not alone regarding your wife thinking your nuts, ive been with my wife 15yrs this year, she thought i was nuts when she first met me and id only been valeting and detailing for about a year and a half back then, now she thinks i really do need help :laugh:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2010, 17:57 »
glad you found your first claying experience a good one chap :wink: its well worth the extra effort and also helps decontaminate the surface ready for the polishing stage which in turn sets you up well for the sealant and wax stage :smiley: as ive said in previous threads its all about the prep :wink:

dont worry your not alone regarding your wife thinking your nuts, ive been with my wife 15yrs this year, she thought i was nuts when she first met me and id only been valeting and detailing for about a year and a half back then, now she thinks i really do need help :laugh:

Your right, is all about the prep.  :smiley:

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2010, 17:59 »
Ive never clayed my car as its super smooth as it is ... I bought it in mint condition and always stayed on top of the cleaning, but Im gonna see what the fuss is all about with the clay bar on my dads motor some time this summer.

I should be claying my golf within the next two weeks, you are more than welcome to come over and see what the fuss is about!  I am in Eaton Bray so only ten minutes from Luton.  Although it always seems to take my wife 45 minutes to get home from her work in Luton!!  Don't know why, I work in Luton and even in rush hour it only takes me 20 minutes! lol

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2010, 22:18 »
your mrs thinks you're a nerd... after only a couple of weeks... try a few years and storage units and garages overtaken with product  :laugh:

good work on the clay... tips to save you time and trouble..

if you are claying you don't need to dry your car after you wash it the first time.. the car will only get covered in water marks anyway

if you are undertaking extensive polishing, not just a quick pre-wax polish, then clay might not be necessary as you are polishing and buffing the paintwork anyway

Offline naturn007

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 17 March 2010, 08:45 »
your mrs thinks you're a nerd... after only a couple of weeks... try a few years and storage units and garages overtaken with product  :laugh:

good work on the clay... tips to save you time and trouble..

if you are claying you don't need to dry your car after you wash it the first time.. the car will only get covered in water marks anyway

if you are undertaking extensive polishing, not just a quick pre-wax polish, then clay might not be necessary as you are polishing and buffing the paintwork anyway

Thanks, sound advice as usual.  :smiley:

Offline walchy01

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2010, 17:07 »
New to all this cleaning stuff, anyone tell me where to buy this clay kit from and what to expect to pay please, if anyones got time could they post a running list of what to do from start to finish on a cleaning day, ie 1 wash it, 2 clay it, 3 etc etc... Would really help me get my head head around this cleaning stuff.

Thank you

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2010, 17:58 »
Well found the clay kit for like £13 on ebay ... Meguiars Starter Kit, comes with a cloth, quick detailer spray, and clay. Im gonna give it a go.

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2010, 18:00 »
Heres the kit for £13: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310207895597&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And here's a 'HOW TO' video, looks nice and easy, but I think patience and a bit of elbow grease might be required:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI