Author Topic: 1st time detailing & 1st post :D  (Read 2647 times)

Offline sch01

• Not said much yet
1st time detailing & 1st post :D
« on: 16 March 2010, 01:38 »
Hey guys,
             just bought myself a MK5 GT TDI golf in silver & really wanted to find out more about keeping the paint work gleaming. Reading the stickies i think i have a fair idea of whats involved but was looking for some advice on the products i will need to achieve this. I feel i should point out that i am not confident enough to use a DA polisher for polishing etc also dont have a DA anyways & i have no option but to do all the work outside ( no garage :( Can i still achieve good results polishing by hand?

Anyways these are the steps i was going to try so any advice would be awsome

1. 2 bucket wash with mitt & Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild

2. Clay with Dodo Juice Supernatural Clay Kit or would Mcguires Clay Kit be best for this?

3. Wash full car again ( same as step 1 )

4. Hand polish with Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite

5. Seal with Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish

6. And was hoping someone could recommend a really good wax ( again appied by hand )

The other thing i would need to know ( providing these steps are all OK ) is what applicator pads i would need to use for the polishing , sealing & waxing etc.
Sorry for all the questions but i think this needs to be done right & no room for error, judging from what i've read on this forum you guys ARE be the best people to ask :)

Many thanks

Scotty

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
Re: 1st time detailing & 1st post :D
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2010, 08:46 »

1. 2 bucket wash with mitt & Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild

If price isn't any factor then go for it, Dodo Juice Born To Be Mild is highly rated ... however, for like ten quid more you can pick up a 5 Litre Bottle of Meguiars Hyper Wash which foams/suds really well, and does a fantastic job and lasts ages. And Meguiars isn't any cheapo brand, their highly rated aswell...

2. Clay with Dodo Juice Supernatural Clay Kit or would Mcguires Clay Kit be best for this?

Any clay kit will be decent I'd say ... Clays, well, Clay? It's all about how you use it ... get a detailing spray.

3. Wash full car again ( same as step 1 )

4. Hand polish with Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite

Sounds good.

5. Seal with Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish

OR JetSeal, as thats meant to be better (haven't tried it myself though ... hope to purchase this next)

6. And was hoping someone could recommend a really good wax ( again appied by hand )

Try one of the DoDo wax's ... im using Collinite 915 and im more than chuffed with the results, but I love experimenting with different things ... so, from me, i'd say buy Collinite 915, but lots of DoDo users will recommend one of their soft wax's for a super wet shine.

The other thing i would need to know ( providing these steps are all OK ) is what applicator pads i would need to use for the polishing , sealing & waxing etc. --- ANY APPLICATOR PAD WILL DO THE TRICK ;) -- JUST USE YOUR BRAIN & APPLY SPARINGLY & don't mix them up keep them seperate from the different products you use, try dampening up the pad first with a bit of water so it doesn't absorb the wax or whatever you put on it.

Sorry for all the questions but i think this needs to be done right & no room for error, judging from what i've read on this forum you guys ARE be the best people to ask :)

Many thanks

Scotty

Offline Dan J

• I live here
  • Pro Valeting and correcting paint since 95
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2010, 10:17 »
as your new to this id say get a soft/fine clay as they are all graded differently and you could damage your car if you use an aggressive clay,

sealant wise as said above jetseal 109 will give you very good results and it gives good durabilty.

wax's= take your pick really theres so many out there and all at different prices, collinite 476's,845,915, are all good waxs.
dodowax's are all good take your pick.

applicators for "hand" polishing need to be slightly firmer than applicators for applying waxs due to the lite/medium pressure needed to get the desired finish from the polish.

go to www.waxamomo.co.uk and have a look at the said products and have a good read through then pm chris aka waxamomo on here and he will sort you with all the correct bits you need, you may get sweets with your order aswell if you've been a good chap this year :grin:
I EAT CARNAUBA FLAKES FOR BREAKFAST!!!

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2010, 13:34 »
Yeah Waxamomo is excellent, got some free Haribo with my order which went down rather nicely!  :wink:
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline sch01

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2010, 14:31 »
Thanks guys,
                  I'll deffo take your advice & use the jetseal 109. Still unsure about the wax tho as I assume I would be better with a soft wax as this would be easier to apply & remove by hand. Noticed the collinite 915 is slightly cheaper than the dodo juice so this is probably what I'll go for as it's my 1st try :smiley:  just picking my car up today aswell so early days yet but I wanted to gain a bit of knowledge on the subject so thanks again!!!

I will be ordering from Waxamomo soon especially when I heard about free sweeties  :laugh:

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2010, 15:11 »
Thanks guys,
                  I'll deffo take your advice & use the jetseal 109. Still unsure about the wax tho as I assume I would be better with a soft wax as this would be easier to apply & remove by hand. Noticed the collinite 915 is slightly cheaper than the dodo juice so this is probably what I'll go for as it's my 1st try :smiley:  just picking my car up today aswell so early days yet but I wanted to gain a bit of knowledge on the subject so thanks again!!!

I will be ordering from Waxamomo soon especially when I heard about free sweeties  :laugh:

The colli 915 is the dogs danglies. But like I said, im all up for experimenting so the DoDo stuff better be ... better when I get round to buying it. If not, ill be dissapointed.

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2010, 15:25 »
915 is a good wax to start with so is 476's, collinite is very good for durabilty, dodo soft and hard wax's are easy to apply if you do it correct,(very thin layers is the trick to success :wink: )

you will not be disapointed with any dodo product in my opinion, ive been doing this long enough to be able to pick faults in products quite easily and havent found any yet with dodo gear, its perfect stuff for beginners and pro's, cant fault it :grin: if you can find a fault with it then your not using it properly :wink:

Offline DubSociety

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2010, 15:37 »
915 is a good wax to start with so is 476's, collinite is very good for durabilty, dodo soft and hard wax's are easy to apply if you do it correct,(very thin layers is the trick to success :wink: )

you will not be disapointed with any dodo product in my opinion, ive been doing this long enough to be able to pick faults in products quite easily and havent found any yet with dodo gear, its perfect stuff for beginners and pro's, cant fault it :grin: if you can find a fault with it then your not using it properly :wink:

Oh right, so since youve used both ... honest opinion. Which is better? I dont care about how difficult it is, I dont mind putting in a little elbow grease, I want the product that gives the most superior shine so I can have people walking up to me saying did you get a paint job done on your car ... lol

Offline Dan J

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2010, 15:52 »
dont get me wrong all the collinite wax's give a really good glossy shine and very good durability but ive found dodojuice soft wax,s give it that something extra :wink: , all this said though you need to prep the car thoroughly first or you will not get the best effect from them or any other wax for that matter,its all in the prep,

The dodowax's in my sig are the ones i reach for when im doing my last couple of layers of protection, the banana armour goes on first as its a hard wax then its either rainforest rub or purple haze, purple haze is one of dodo's best sellers and still is alongside blue velvet, i will be adding the pro versions to my arsenal asap.