Author Topic: **HOSEPIPE BAN NOW IN EFFECT**  (Read 5135 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
**HOSEPIPE BAN NOW IN EFFECT**
« on: 05 April 2012, 23:37 »
if you live in the South or East of England it is likely that you will be affected by the Hosepipe Ban that has come into effect today 5th April 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17615364

If you live in an area covered by a temporary use ban you WILL NOT be allowed to use a hose to aid the cleaning of your vehicles, if you flout the ban you will not only be subject to disapproving looks from your neighbours but could also be subject to a £1000 fine.

However, all is not lost... there are still several options available to you

you can still wash your vehicles using the two bucket method and rinsing without using a hose... having previously lived in a flat with no hose I have found the easiest way to rinse your vehicle is to use a watering can, without the hose attachment, to 'sheet' water off your vehicle, starting with the top down... one can should easily be enough.

please don't use the advice stated in the linked article 'Use bathwater and washing-up water to wash the car and the garden' - taking showers uses far less water and the idea of using dirty washing-up water is just beyond comprehension?!  :huh: :rolleyes:

I don't know if garage 'jet washes' are still in use... if you do feel inclined to use one then please don't use the brush attachment that the previous dude left on the floor for you unless you like swirly paintwork.

The use of automated car washes should not be crossing your mind. If you like using them then you're obviously in the wrong section!  :lipsrsealed:

Supermarket sponge monkeys, as I like to call them, are still allowed to be operating and will no doubt be turning over good business... please do be aware that they are using the same sponge and some kind of water/dirt mix to wash your car clearcoat and wheels in no particular order.

Valeting 'drop-in' centres are still operating too... it might be an idea to observe their methods before you use one... I have seen some horrendous practices from some of these places, what products are they using and is their kit of good quality?

Professional mobile valeters and detailers - obviously these guys are the best option  :wink:, yes probably the most expensive but then again you get what you pay for... ironically they are allowed to come to your home and use your hose even though you aren't!!  :grin:

There are also 'waterless' washing options such as ONR - I haven't tried this product myself but I have tried a similar product and it is good - but I would only suggest it for light to medium soiling. Plenty of people on DW rave about it.

Talking of DW there are plenty of threads on there about the hosepipe ban with all sorts of suggestions for alternative cleaning methods. Detailing World - Detailing Chat

The fact is... the better protected your car is in the beginning the less difficult it will be to keep clean... so a damn good detail will pay dividends in the long run maintaining your level of vehicle cleanliness during the ban  :cool:

Keep Calm and Carry On!   :smiley:

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: **HOSEPIPE BAN NOW IN EFFECT**
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2012, 15:46 »

Or move to an area unlikely to get a hose pipe ban  :kiss: :grin: :wink:

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2012, 15:57 »
I thought i was in the hosepipe ban area but it turns out as i am Southern water not Thames water i am fine but will confirm with them before i use my jet wash this weekend.

Wished i had realised sooner as got my car cleaned the other day as one of the local car wash places & found myself nearly crying at their methods  :shocked:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 25 April 2012, 16:10 »

Or move to an area unlikely to get a hose pipe ban  :kiss: :grin: :wink:
yeah scotland  :grin: :grin:

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 25 April 2012, 16:13 »
I thought i was in the hosepipe ban area but it turns out as i am Southern water not Thames water i am fine but will confirm with them before i use my jet wash this weekend.

Wished i had realised sooner as got my car cleaned the other day as one of the local car wash places & found myself nearly crying at their methods  :shocked:

depends which part of their region you are in...

This means that along with other water companies we have introduced water restrictions, including a hosepipe ban, in Kent and Sussex.

Southern Water customers in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight are not affected by water restrictions at this time. However we are asking all customers to avoid wasting water.

Offline Kerrse

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2012, 18:36 »
I'm fine then as on the Hampshire-Berkshire border thank god for that I never want to see my brand new car cleaned like that again 

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2012, 20:08 »
I washed my car at the w.end, and used the pressure washer. I will probably do it again this w.end too.  :smug: :grin: SouthWest water the second most expensive in the UK, (Apparently the hills and the Val lees of Way alls is the most expensive). Knew there was an upside to being ripped off for so many years!
« Last Edit: 25 April 2012, 21:43 by Seanl »
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline murraymint

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2012, 20:13 »
Saw on the news, flood warnings in drought areas....  :grin:
josh

95 Mk3 golf 1.6 CL, 96 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 89 Mk2 Jetta GL97 Mk3 golf gti 16v, 99 bora 2ltr se, 83 mk1 golf 1.1, 15 polo 1.2 tsi

Offline Lumpz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2012, 12:37 »
im sure ive read that the hose pipe ban has now been lifted ..... for now :D
Mk3 golf gti 16v

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2012, 12:12 »
Hosepipe ban now lifted in all areas thanks to the Great British Summer time!  :grin:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |