Author Topic: Wireless charging  (Read 6543 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Wireless charging
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2019, 11:07 »
I thought it did have wifi hotspot.... I'm certain mine does! (Mk7.5 with NavPro...)
You have an 'optional' (not standard) Wi-Fi hotspot, but it's not high-speed or designed for high bandwidth data/OS transfer. It also isn't programmed and engineered to work with the bluetooth.

For full wireless ACP/AA, you need to have the latest technology, and more importantly the tech has to be specifically programmed to communicate with each other.

:)

Yes, I understand that its not programmed to work, but the kit definitely has the hardware to be able to do it....

I'm guessing they are keeping that little gem as a "new with Mk8" feature.

BTW if you are a tech nerd and don't mind a little hacking around...

https://www.xda-developers.com/wireless-android-auto-head-unit-hack/

Basically you create another device to be a gateway.

On the other hand, AA will drain your battery super rapid, so you'll need to plug your phone in to charge... which kinda defeats the object! You really need wireless charging and wireless AA...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2019, 12:33 »
So ive got an android device, am i right in thinking you just connect the phone through a cable, and then googlemaps/spotify etc is all streamed through the phone 4G (if anything needs downloading, music, map data etc)?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2019, 13:13 »
So ive got an android device, am i right in thinking you just connect the phone through a cable, and then googlemaps/spotify etc is all streamed through the phone 4G (if anything needs downloading, music, map data etc)?
Yes. When you plug your phone into the USB port AA will start, your compatible apps (installed on the phone) will then be shown on the screen and you can use them. Essentially AA/ACP is a mirroring system/platform which pushes what’s going on on your phone to the screen on a dedicated UI that you can navigate/control. Everything is driven by the phone (including data etc), it’s just shown on your screen for ease of use and legality.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 13:15 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2019, 13:21 »
Awesome, thanks for that mate! Will be good for playing spotify etc

on a note of music, is the standard stereo fairly good? I had toy'd with the idea of getting dynaudio but was told its not really worth the extra?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2019, 13:33 »
Awesome, thanks for that mate! Will be good for playing spotify etc
It's great. For me CarPlay makes the OEM system totally surpurflous. Google Maps for sat nav, Waze running in the background (for Speed camera alerts), MixCloud, Spotify, TuneIn Radio and Amazon Music for sounds, WhatsApp/iMessage for messaging and of course the full phonebook/call functionality.

No need to faff around with new sims, other data plans or anything, it just all comes off the phone data plan. It also means that everything I do before getting into the car (such as searching for destinations in the house before setting off) continues because there's no need to upload destinations/journeys/music etc before you set off. It's there to use again the next time you get in.

I had toy'd with the idea of getting dynaudio but was told its not really worth the extra?
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Dynaudio is a total no brainer if you like music. The standard system is only 4x20w speakers. Dynaudio is 400w including an amp and a sub, it gives so much. It's night and day difference.

Don't totally despair though, if you find the standard system to be lacking then there's a Helix "plug and play" system you can buy from Volkswagen which is a Subwoofer with integrated DSP amplifier that sits in the spare wheel well, that'll help.

SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2019, 13:58 »
Mmmmm i really hope im not disappointed, as i do love my music!

What put me off is that i upgraded in my current car (TT) and really, i was never impressed with it.

Wondering if i should contact the dealer and see if i can add to my order now as my build week 18.

All starts to add up tho, that'll be another £550 extra

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2019, 14:13 »
Mmmmm i really hope im not disappointed, as i do love my music!
Get yourself down to a VW showroom and sit in any Golf, the standard 4x20w system is found across all trims of the Golf. Play around with it and see what you think.

IMO, the front-stage sound from the Dynaudio tweeters is awesome for a factory system, so much clarity. They beat any of the powerful BOSE or HK system I've had in other cars. The Subwoofer can be heard but not felt (which again is really nice). The Dynaudio EQ is really expansive & flexible so you can adjust to cater for your taste in music, perfectly, wither that be electronic, vocal, or any type of genre where sound sensitive is needed. It's also the sort of system that allows you to turn it up loud without distortion.

If you're the type of person who drives around with just the radio on in the background, it probably isn't worth it, but if you like your music and spend time in the car, then IMO it's a no brainer for the relatively small outlay of money. It was on my 'must have' list.

I see you're in Surrey, I'm in South London / Surrey, so if you want to meet-up so you can have a listen to mine to see what you think about the Dynaudio, let me know.

« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 14:17 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021

Offline Phuture

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2019, 14:25 »
Nice one mate, appreciate your opinion!

Where abouts are you based, im near Lingfield?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2019, 14:29 »
Nice one mate, appreciate your opinion!

Where abouts are you based, im near Lingfield?
Dropped you a DM.  :smiley:
SOLD March 2021

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2019, 14:39 »
Or, if you are a lucky bugger, order your MK7.5 with the factory wireless option, have the option price fully re-funded on collection (effectively making it free), before they withdrew it as an option as I did  ;D ;D

BTW, they withdrew it as they found out the built in amplifier to boost the cell signal as part of the package operated on the same frequency as our emergency services and was therefore a restricted band in the UK - (you think they would have checked that first). So before collection, VW disabled (by unplugging) the amplifier in the boot side panel but leaving the wireless charging function in tact. As an added benefit, it also provides a second USB (power and data) connection under the armrest in the centre console (as well as the one in the forward cubby as well).

Not sure how many MK7's from 2018 made it though with the wireless option, but to be fair I've never bothered to check to see if they reinstated it later ?

« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 14:41 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras