Author Topic: Mk 8 Golf  (Read 170914 times)

Offline Hertsman

• I live here
Re: Mk 8 Golf
« Reply #730 on: 24 February 2020, 10:31 »
I hope it is styled down at bit, because I think it looks quite boring and very much like the rest of the range (aside from the brakes and twin exhaust pipes).

One of the things I really liked about the MK7 and MK7.5 performance models is that they looked quite different from the "cooking" models. Now that all the MK8's seem to get LED headlights, the front ends all seem to look the same whereas the Xenons with the "U" DRL's on the MK7's and the new LED's with the unique DRL's and red strips on the MK7.5 were quite different from the standard models.

The DRL on the MK 7 were signature, they added to the appeal of the model with the twin U DRL on the R being a real winner - Always thought the red stripe looked a little awkward on the MK7 but on the MK 7.5 the red striping integrate perfectly - The signature loser was the R on the MK 7.5

On the MK 8 there is now no signature at all aside for the stripe, which dents the appeal, as its the cumulative effect of all the little lifts that seperates the GTI and makes the appeal.

As for them KIA, Renault Trophy style lights, then you hope they are fog lights and and you can keep them switched off! You would think they are, given the placement, and thankfully R owners will get a pass as thats where the air vents go.

Its not looking good for the MK 8, think the MK 7.5 will simply prove to be the better car.
Present - BMW 128Ti Alpine White, 18" Performance Tyres, Sun Protection Glass, Parking Assist, Heated Steering, Boston Trim, Split Folding Rear Seats, Electric Lumbar Support
- 2nd car: 2019 Golf R DSG Pure White 19" Black Pretoria, Privacy Glass, Rear View Camera, Dynaudio, Keyless
- 2019 Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG Reifinitz Wheel DCC Climate Screen 90% Tint
- 2016 Lapiz Blue Golf R 5 Door DSG Pretoria DCC
- 2013 Pure White GTD 5 Door DSG DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #731 on: 24 February 2020, 14:16 »
If they are foglights, perhaps VW will forget to fit them :whistle:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline jaceyboy

• I live here
« Reply #732 on: 24 February 2020, 14:22 »

MK7 GTi

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #733 on: 24 February 2020, 14:31 »
Looks a bit tiguanish from the rear.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #734 on: 25 February 2020, 02:04 »
All the recent publicity shots I've seen of the Mk8 R and GTI show only the rear.  Hmmmm, I wonder why that might be?  :wink:
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #735 on: 25 February 2020, 06:50 »
Not liking that GTI badge in the middle - looks like something someone would stick on a Match...….
Not liking that rear spoiler either - looks a bit 'Type R'

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #736 on: 25 February 2020, 13:12 »
Not liking that GTI badge in the middle - looks like something someone would stick on a Match...….

Its a current thing. Everyone is doing it. Every VW model has them.

You could always take it off with a hairdryer  :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #737 on: 25 February 2020, 14:30 »

Yeah, I know its the current fad. Doesn't mean I like the look of it though. Bit narf on a  GTI.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #738 on: 25 February 2020, 15:10 »

Yeah, I know its the current fad. Doesn't mean I like the look of it though. Bit narf on a  GTI.

Seat have done it with the Leon right back to the mk1, so within VAG it’s not new.

I don’t like it either though.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Primerdriver

• Not said much yet
« Reply #739 on: 26 February 2020, 23:50 »
Well, here it is.....certainly doesn't do much for me  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHOeIfUMgEE