Author Topic: Switching a 4 spoke steering wheel with a 3 spoke wheel?  (Read 1595 times)

Offline NotMyName

• GTI forum regular
My brothers 2002 (02) plated GT TDI 130 has died a death & my wife has recently bought a 2000 (X) plated 1.6 16v.

We've taken the wheels & the rear lights. She's interested in his steering wheel & cruise control (but i'll do a separate thread for that in case one thread just becomes all about one of them but not the other).

Basically she has this type of wheel:

And he has this type of wheel:

The first question is obviously can they be switched over & still work (airbag/horn)?

The other question is is it just a simple one of take off & put on (for both) or is it more involved than that?

His Golf is probably going to go to the scrapper, knowing what he's like, but he MAY sell it on to someone, so the wheel would have to work.

If it matters then i think the wifes engine code is AZR. Has a Z in it i know that much.

Offline JMK3

• Not said much yet
Re: Switching a 4 spoke steering wheel with a 3 spoke wheel?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2015, 15:44 »
disconnect the battery, 2 screw bolt things in the back of the wheel will get the air bag cover off, then i think its a 24mm bolt holding the actual wheel on. Should just be a straight swap mate

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2015, 15:50 »
How to guide

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=153651.0

Hardest bit is releasing the spring clips holding the airbag on; you'll either get it first time or spend hours faffing about  :grin: :grin:

Offline Wazzzer

• 10k hero
  • Golf GTI 1.8T AGU
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2015, 18:15 »
I faff about with one side every time I do it :laugh:

1999 1.8T: R-Tech remap - 225bhp/256lb/ft : K03s : THS FMIC : THS PCR pipe : 2.5" stainless exhaust : THS FR3 Engine mounts : G60/VR6 clutch : Calibra Yellow injectors : VR6 MAF : Devils Own WMI : Forge 007p : Carbonio CAI : Leon Cupra R Brembos : FK AK Street coilovers : Votex skirts : Anniversary front : click ---> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=92175

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2015, 19:21 »
I faff about with one side every time I do it :laugh:

Always found that one side was dead easy and then when faffing with the other side I'd push the unclipped side back in  :angry: :laugh: :laugh: