Author Topic: GTI Mk6 high idle  (Read 2077 times)

Offline thalys

• Just got here
GTI Mk6 high idle
« on: 25 January 2015, 04:24 »
my car is a 2010 gti mk6, unitronic stage 2, apr turboback, r8 coilpacks, stock intake with k&n drop in filter

several months ago, it started throwing CELs, P2096 post catalyst fuel trim system too lean bank1. I cleared it. It kept coming back. Sometimes it threw P2293 fuel pressure regulator 2 performance but I read it via VCDS, it should be P0088 Fuel Rail/System Pressure too high - intermittent. it was accompanied by some high idles at stop light e.g. at constant 900, 1000 or even 1200rpm occasionally. but the car drove well, seemed like nothing wrong.

high idle youtube link: http://youtu.be/2JMUa5fQrzQ

I changed the front o2 sensor but the problem persisted. then i thought it was the MAF, i unplugged it, oil consumption improved but high idle and the above P2293 persisted. recently, the high idle appears more frequently. i now suspect it is the PCV valve. i took off the oil cap this morning, felt some suction, the engine shakes a little and exhaust sounded a little rough but rpm didn't change. taking off the oil dipstick showed the same.

did anyone encounter the same? do u guys think that it is the pcv valve? it's driving me crazy...

thanks...
« Last Edit: 25 January 2015, 04:48 by thalys »

Offline Mickmk6

• Not said much yet
  • Mk7.5 PP 3Door Manual - Indium Grey
Re: GTI Mk6 high idle
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2015, 17:03 »
Sounds like PCV mate. Mine was doing this the other week, sitting at high idle or sometime erratic.

£50 part and about 15 minute job to complete.

Mine has stopped doing this since. Hope this helps.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2015, 20:02 »
Must admit before even reading the post I was thinking pcv valve but it does seem to be giving some vacume from your tests.
If you search out my oil leak thread iirc i posted the self studie pages of how the pcv works. These may help you diagnosis of what part of the pcv system is not working correctly.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline J400uk

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2015, 21:44 »
PCVs still a problem on the Mk6? VW aren't very good at learning from past failures and applying fixes if that's the case
2015 Golf GTD 2.0 TDI 184 PS 6-speed DSG 5 Door Tornado Red

Offline thalys

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2015, 12:43 »
thanks for the reply mates!

Just replaced the MAF sensor, looked better
anyway, i had the PCV Valve ordered. let see