Author Topic: GT TDi - can anyone offer advice about the engines??  (Read 7827 times)

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
GT TDi - can anyone offer advice about the engines??
« on: 02 February 2006, 13:00 »
Hi, I have been told to steer clear of the older GT Tdi 110 5 Speed as it has ' a different engine to the 6 speed and higher BHP models in the GT range.'

Is this true?  What is the difference and the actual facts on this car.  I saw a great one this weekend but it's the older 5 speed and now i'm feeling like i shouldn't buy it?

Any advice would be excellent.

Paul

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: GT TDi - can anyone offer advice about the engines??
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2006, 14:00 »
As far as I'm aware the 6 speed boxes are mated to the Pump Duse engines - these generally have around 20-30% more torque than the older models as well as being more economical

Best bet is to ask Richandhazel as he's just bought a GT TDI 110 i believe.........

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2006, 14:26 »
there's nothing wrong with the older cars, nothing at all. so they might not be as fast or tunable as the pd engines, but if you wanted outright performance you wouldnt be buying a diesel car at all, right ?

infact vw have abandoned the pump duse design now and returned to a common rail diesel engine as its far more economical.

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2006, 14:34 »
Thanks, the thing is i'm hoping to just have something that gets me from A-B and back to A quite economically and safe.  i drive a 1.8 Driver Mk3 now and that was fine. 

So there isn't anything bad about the non PD engine, it's just not as fast and tuneable?  I know i wont tinker with the car engine anyways!

Thanks again

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2006, 11:05 »
As far as I'm aware the 6 speed boxes are mated to the Pump Duse engines - these generally have around 20-30% more torque than the older models as well as being more economical

Best bet is to ask Richandhazel as he's just bought a GT TDI 110 i believe.........

Yep, I have a 110 that I am more than happy with. For the budget that I had (5K) I had a lot more to chose from with the 110 and according to Parkers it was the most economical. So far, can't argue, I'm averaging between 50 to 55 mpg!

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2006, 11:27 »
Thanks for the reply, what sort of miles did you get on your car with the budget?  I'm hoping to see one this weekend, Green 3 Door Gt TDi 110 with 54k on clock, full history and Cambelt changed last month on service.  Could get for £6,200  Sound like a good deal or average?

Ta

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2006, 18:03 »
Mine is high mileage, but it only had 1 owner from new and came with full VAG service history so I was happy. Oh and I got it for £3995 which was well under budget!

Offline paul25_uk

• Not said much yet
  • Gettin' there!
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2006, 18:51 »
So is havinga high mile car ok?  Only reason i ask is i haven't had a VW Mk4 before, need it for a few years and economy matters, else i'd be trying for a 4-mo.

What sort of things should i be looking for?  Should i keep under a set mileage?  Looking for either a gtTdi 110 or 115/130 6 speed.

Thanks

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2006, 19:32 »
I know a lot of people are put off by high mileages, however, I would rather have a high mileage vehicle that has been looked after than a low mileage vehicle that has been thrashed and abused. Obviously its not always easy to tell but this one did have every stone chip touched up and Autohaus have confirmed all the stamps in the book. The way it drives and looks appears to demonstrate that the previous owner looked after the car and therefore I was happy to pay less than the going rate for the vehicle.

Offline welshgar

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2006, 21:40 »
the 110bhp engines not bad, i got me one in 2001 and its still goin strong.
as said, its not as tuneable as the later models but it still has a decent amount of grunt in it!
gotta get one witch has had the cam belt done though, it can get pricey.
also check (if you can) that the window seats/plastic bits have been changed to the metal ones.... mine went (1 was on warranty  :smiley:) the other wasnt :sad:) and they get pricey.
look forward to 50-55 mpg :grin:
me and the missus do quite alot of miles between us (she drives it more, i got a works van :sad:)
and it works out v. economical.
that is until i put 18's on and well basically  became a self confessed dubnut :grin:
good luck with what ever 1 you choose

(and breathe. :grin:....my longest post me thinks?!?!)

Mk4 GT TDi::RS4's::weitec coilies::RCCR::polo mirrors::cream leather::
MK1 1.5 GL Auto restoration....coming along slowly :-(
its not the winning that gives me pleasure....its the taking apart