Author Topic: Dump the heater bypass valve?  (Read 3426 times)

Mart8V2

Re: Dump the heater bypass valve?
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2013, 22:22 »
I called VW Heritage late this afternoon and the tech guys there have said it is fine to remove the bypass with their matrix fitted.  Will get hoses sorted next week and try to dry out my carpets in the meantime!  Bloody coolant everywhere......

Have managed to lose my profile in the meantime, though, having updated my email!  Waiting for JV to log in and hopefully put the world to rights......

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2013, 22:26 »
I really like my toes unscalded. But I also really like the ability to see out of my windows. Is there actually any real danger removing this valve? I mean, we are driving cars without airbags, we are pretty much dare devils by modern day standards anyway...
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2013, 23:01 »
I really like my toes unscalded. But I also really like the ability to see out of my windows. Is there actually any real danger removing this valve? I mean, we are driving cars without airbags, we are pretty much dare devils by modern day standards anyway...

Their is absolutely no need to run these valves after a Matrix swap! a new Matrix is made to a far higher standard than the old line fitted items, and is not likely to burst like the earlier versions!
Proof being that the OP's Matrix is only leaking, and not burst, just like everyone else's that comes on here, and other Forums...

However, I would only recommend removing the valves AFTER fitting a new matrix, just on the unlikely off chance that the Matrix is still the factory fitted item!

Thom

Offline Waspy

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2013, 23:24 »
Well if I'm honest I don't even know what is wrong with mine, it blows pretty weak room temperature air. I fitted a new fan as the old one was unbearably noisy so was expecting more air blown at me regardless of temperature, but nope still just a trickle of mild air. A new matrix looks like a ball ache of a job, will it solve my heater woes?
It's a mk2. Fill it, drive it, enjoy it.  :smiley:

Offline weazgti

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2013, 23:44 »
There's probably nothing left of the control flaps inside tge heater box.
Just blows on feet after all the foam has blown out of the vents.

Offline Mart8V

• I live here
  • I really should know better by now.....
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2013, 07:19 »
I called VW Heritage late this afternoon and the tech guys there have said it is fine to remove the bypass with their matrix fitted.  Will get hoses sorted next week and try to dry out my carpets in the meantime!  Bloody coolant everywhere......

Have managed to lose my profile in the meantime, though, having updated my email!  Waiting for JV to log in and hopefully put the world to rights......

All sorted, back on original profile!

Offline dragonfly

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2013, 08:44 »
If you are replacing the matrix then have a look at the flaps in the heater box.  For some reason the flap has holes in it covered with foam (I think). The foam breaks down making the flap useless.

Changing the matirx is a ballache but worth it. Have a read: http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?265347-Heater-Matrix&highlight=mk2+heater+matrix

Offline Mr Blue

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2013, 09:10 »
Love how some people say it will burn feet. They are small radiators in a plastic case. WUSSIES  :grin:

As Thom and dragonfly above.
:)

Offline Mart8V

• I live here
  • I really should know better by now.....
« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2013, 16:23 »
RIGHT-  :angry: :angry: :angry: The lower securing bolt is turning in the engine bay although the upper one came off really easily (both had WD40 for 12 hrs in advance).  Any option but to cut it off?  Right pain....

Also cannot get the plastic nut off at the blower end- should it unscrew by hand?  Either I am really weak or am missing something!  Pipes are off in the engine bay and am replacing the header tank at the same time, but it is just that lower bolt!!