Author Topic: oil in coolant  (Read 1096 times)

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
oil in coolant
« on: 20 November 2016, 13:34 »
morning yet another problem. as description says i have oil in my coolant i think its the oil cooler but today looked at the dip stick and its covered in the same white gook,, now the oil filler cap is still normal with no signs of the water mixing with the oil in the engine.. would you say its just the cooler or has my head gasket gone? thanks in advance 

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
Re: oil in coolant
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2016, 13:35 »
forgot to say engine still works and pulls fine and as of now it still does not over heat

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2016, 17:03 »
Not seen your other thread.

Tricky one, Oil coolers are possible to split, but so is oil possible to break into a water-way.
If this leaves the cylinder ring still sealed it means neither will show up as reduced compression or a sniffer test.

The oil is at a much higher pressure than the water, oil is going to show up in the water for either of those problems.
Your Mayonaise at the dip stick could just be severe condensation - depending how little your VW is getting used or the tube is cracked.

If you are convinced its not the head gasket, an oil cooler isnt too expensive and pretty easy (but messy) to swap out -put some cheap new oil in and see how you get on

Offline gamestaffords

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2016, 10:59 »
thanks for your reply pal,, my o ring was missing of the dip stick so think thats the problem, cleaned coolant tank and the temp sign has gone off but now its staying stop oil pressure, bloody car about ready for the scrap heap

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2016, 21:45 »
Well the pressure switch is within the filter housing, that is adjacent to the oil cooler...

-this may be the info to confirm the oil cooler is split allowing the oil pressure to drop.

Offline LR5V

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2016, 21:48 »
oh & do not drive it till the cooler is replaced, your bearing may not be getting the amount of oil they need