Author Topic: Mk4 engine swap - problem with drive shafts  (Read 1998 times)

europeandude

Mk4 engine swap - problem with drive shafts
« on: 18 November 2016, 22:43 »
Hi everyone,

First time here, hoping not to step on anybody's toes. I have a question regarding the conversion done on my car. The car was originally a 1999 Mk4 Golf, 85kW, 115BHP 2 litre, 5-speed gearbox. The engine and the gearbox have been swapped to 1.8 turbo BAM and 6-speed ERF gearbox from an Audi TT.

The front suspension has been heavily modified. Front arms, uprights and brakes are from R32 Golf. The car has the 1J0407271LN drive shafts which, I hear, are from a 150BHP Golf TDI. They supposed to be shorter and thicker than the standard drive shafts from the original 5-speed gearbox. The problem I'm facing right now is such that: after liftling the car up, there is no travel on the drive, neither up/down, neither sideways. Seems that they're too long. I've driven the car for about ~30 miles and I can hear something is giving in the front, the car is very twitchy which would point to everything in the front being very tight.

The question I'm looking an answer to: has anybody dealt with something similar before and could point in the right direction? Obviously, one way is to shorten the drive shafts but I'd hope this to be the final solution.

Thank you.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Mk4 engine swap - problem with drive shafts
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2016, 10:15 »
A bamd tt is 4 wheel drive so how have you got round that with fitting it in the golf which im pressuming is fwd

europeandude

« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2016, 11:27 »
The gearbox has been converted to FWD. I'm looking for a solution to the problem with the drive shaft.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2016, 11:32 »
So its had the transfere box removed and a fwd endplate put onto it to allow a normal shaft.
Ide take the driveshafts off and start the car. Put it in gear. Make sure both cups in thw box are turning freely when in gear.
Then ide be checking the cvs on the shafts.
Driveshaft wise ide have chosen a s3 left short driveshaft and a normal golf gti long driveshaft.

S3 are 4wd and same chasses as the mk4 so short shaft will fit 100 percent.
Long gti shaft should go behind the engine and bolt up 100 percent because all 1.8t blocks are the same and the 6 speed is the same at the bell housing

europeandude

« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2016, 12:00 »
That's a direction. Thank you. I'll have a look. Do you, by any chance, have any part numbers you could share?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2016, 12:34 »
I dont no sorry.
When i order bits i find reg numbers and ring suppliers or give the cars with what engine.