Author Topic: A couple more questions..  (Read 878 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
A couple more questions..
« on: 30 October 2016, 16:31 »
I'm in the mood for technical questions tonight...

What's the best way to measure the temperature of the air flowing through my intercooler? To be specific, I want to know the difference between the inflow and the outflow, in terms of degrees. For those who may care, I intend to take these readings on the pipes/hoses about 6" before and 6" after the intercooler.

I'm working on an idea which hinges on these readings and I'm after a bit of kit which can produce results with reasonable accuracy.

I have a few ideas myself, but I would be very interested to hear yours.

:smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: A couple more questions..
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2016, 18:43 »
2 temp gauges. Like whatwould read external car temp plumbed in to seperate gauges to read from.
Obvously would have to try and find a bolt in version so. Ot to create a boost leak.
Ive always wated to do it on iduction to see how a cold air feed really affects the air temp going into the inlet. N/a engine obviously

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: A couple more questions..
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2016, 20:28 »
Your answer is a little hard to read, but I think we are on the same page. Yes, two gauges, one in each pipe, would be the way to go. I'm very interested to see what difference the intercooler really makes...and to see if it's possible to lower the air temp after the intercooler by any significant degree by relocating the intercooler, getting a larger one...or enabling a better airflow through it.

I realise that we operate in different conditions...summertime temps here are often over 45 degrees (C) and many roads are closed to vehicles over 12T because the tarmac is melting...imagine the temp of the air flowing through the IC. In the winter months we are looking at temps between minus 20 and minus 40...see what I mean?

I'm not taking the p!ss...I really appreciate the input.
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.