Author Topic: Nice girlfriend looking for a replacement hood.....  (Read 3820 times)

Offline staciebetts

• Just got here
Nice girlfriend looking for a replacement hood.....
« on: 20 January 2014, 14:58 »
Hey

Im new here and am trying to get a replacement hood for my boyfriends MK1 black clipper. Some nice person stuck a stanley knife in his so i thought id replace it for his birthday next month.

Let me know if you have one reasonably priced - new or 2nd hand is good  :kiss:

Offline Lewy

• I live here
Re: Nice girlfriend looking for a replacement hood.....
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2014, 20:54 »

Offline chalky white

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2014, 21:28 »
£666.00 fitted???? That's big money for a fitted vinyl top.

It depends on what you want to put on.
The car in their web picture is a Rivage model so only came with a Cloth top.
The material is Sonnerland Classic made by Haartz company.

There are also 2 types of vynil depending on what year the car is, so pre 81 IIRC it's pin point vinyl. Pebble grain later finish.

There's little point in putting second hand on as the old vynil may split during removal and unless they've been looked after and re proofed at least once a year, not worth the hassle. Hoods don't last forever and may of come to the end of their useful life.
Once the rubber backing on Cloth tops go it's time for a new one, old vinyl ones tended to shrink and they become porous over time. You  won't tell during the summer but when it  rains and you can't find the leak. It maybe the old vinyl is past it.

Plus if the Knife went through the interliner and padding and the Headliner they will need replacing too. The pad can be repaired but the inter liner will need to be replaced and deffo the headliner.
Headliners come in 3 different sizes and are year dependent there isn't a one size fits all.

If you want a second hand frame with it all on complete make sure you get the correct year one for the car.
Early ones don't fit later cabbies as VW added a few inches in the cars length later.
So 79-81 don't fit onward years.
If the car is a manual operated top then you will need to stick to that Don't be fooled into buying a 90 onwards power roof frame it will fit but you won't be able to lock the roof in the down position, the power rams do this job on hydraulic/electric set ups whereas manual have locking mechanism built into the frame it's self.

You would also need to replace the rear tension cable and potentially the 2 side tension cables too.
Old cables stretch and you can end up with a poor fit.
On cables make sure you get a sleeved rear cable, non sleeved can pop out when you close the roof down.
But bare in mind the age of the top, condition of the interliner as the outer cover shreds and allows the pad to wear on the underside of the top, plus old dirty headliners that yellow don't clean up.

Cheers

« Last Edit: 07 February 2014, 01:19 by chalky white »

Offline notenoughtime

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2014, 07:52 »
Hey

Im new here and am trying to get a replacement hood for my boyfriends MK1 black clipper. Some nice person stuck a stanley knife in his so i thought id replace it for his birthday next month.

Let me know if you have one reasonably priced - new or 2nd hand is good  :kiss:

Hey and welcome
There is a guy near me called soft tops direct, very good I've used them before he does all cars
Only problem they are in Romford Essex but maybe worth a try
Let me know if you want there number