Author Topic: **** The postman always rings twice. ****  (Read 8016 times)

Offline joesgti

• I live here
Re: **** The postman always rings twice. ****
« Reply #50 on: 16 October 2008, 14:10 »
Great Purchase TC!  :cool:

Your car will look great once its done. Suspension is almost the number one mod before remap.

Mike

....But are you guys revising the suspension for looks alone? (ETTO of course)

Here comes an arguement  :laugh:

To be fair the standard suspension does a very good job as it is. I feel most people agree with that.

I think that most people upgrade purely for looks and not for performance. You (RedRobin) for example want to track the car every now and then so a proper upgrade is essential. In TC's case I think it is purely for looks. Much like I would only drop a car for looks as I know it will probably never see the track.

The question we should be asking is:

What suspension system offers the best balance between driveability and cosmetic attraction...

Mike

....I'm not seeking an argument but it does make a good debate or discussion :smiley:

As you say, Mike, the stock suspension (and chassis) is very good indeed but as with nearly all factory cars, improvements can be made, both functionally and cosmetically.

There has always been a compromise and uneasy balance between suspension which improves handling but remains comfortable on the road. In 2005 the introduction of Koni FSD's were considered a big step in effecting a good compromise, especially if combined with Anti-roll bars. On track, comfort is of far less importance and also cars tend to be lowered much more. That 'track look' of being lowered with camber is a very cool look and naturally one which car enthusiasts seek to emulate - There's nothing wrong with that but only as long as 'the look' doesn't ruin the handling, and it can. Individual comfort preferences are up to the individual.

Suspension designers are continually striving to create products which strike a good and comfortable compromise for fast road use, and even car manufacturers are including user-switchable suspension options, though I can't say I'm over impressed by VW's efforts - Still very 'softcore' imo.

Ultimately it is up to the individual.

[I hope you'll say if you think we're hijacking your thread, TC]

i think youd be impressed with the porsche turbo, as soon as the switch for the susspension is pressed there is a MASSIVE difference, going from a soft (but sturdy) set up to a very VERY bone ratteling hard set up. quite incredible really, not sure how it works but is think its something to do with magnets.

also the range rover we have actually allows you to adjust the ride height with a little button, looks good on its lowest (slammed  :laugh:) setting  :smiley:

GTI MK5
Not the only GTI...........but the best! ; )

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #51 on: 16 October 2008, 16:20 »
80 % of my cars use is purely for finding quiet roads in Wales and pretending i am a rally driver  :laugh: or it will be when i get the brakes upgraded Filthy rich Luca  :grin: stole my new brakes from under my nose on ebay  :angry:  :sad:  :wink:
So the new set up is for this reason or i would not have bothered buying the anti lift kit.  :nerd:
Also though i do like the look of lowered cars it is a Vdub tradition and it will be getting lowered a bit  :evil:

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
« Reply #52 on: 16 October 2008, 16:28 »
^^^^

Totally justified, TC! Safe but fun journeys :afro: :cool: :afro:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 16 October 2008, 16:32 »
LOL TC :grin:

Luca needs to get his pics up fast or I'll have to Torture have a word with him :laugh:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #54 on: 16 October 2008, 16:35 »
Filthy rich luca is probably out right now buying a 1/4 of a mile drag strip for his and V-tecs private use  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 16 October 2008, 16:54 »
Filthy rich luca is probably out right now buying a 1/4 of a mile drag strip for his and V-tecs private use  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:grin: :grin:

They offered to buy mine, but I need it for the Leerjet :wink:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #56 on: 17 October 2008, 07:59 »
Leerjet? Pfft how mediocre?

I considered buying it for my Boeing so I can pull it up and down the runway with a Tuareg  :evil:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.